Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd mortgage confusion post BK Greentree

Where to start.....

Bought a house in 2003 and did an 80/20 split. Filed for ch 13 in 2005 and was completed in April 2010.

1st mortgage has been transferred to a different company and is current...no issues there.

2nd mortgage has been transferred 3 times and is currently with Greentree (as of 12/09).

Here is where it gets confusing. Went through a divorce last year (ie financial difficulties) and stopped paying on 2nd mortgage. (house is totally mine and he signed off on interest in house so I don't have to sell or refi)

When I came into some cash I called them to see if I could negotiate any late fees or anything and got quite a shock. Lady on the phone said that because of my bankruptcy my 2nd mortgage now was at 0% interest, no late fees, no minimum payment and I should just pay when I could and offered to settle for 70% of what was owed. I really didn't understand what was happening with the debt after discharge. I thought everything went back to the way it was before the BK. I have since done some research (which brought me here) and I have some questions....

On my credit report this debt only appears on 1 report and states "included in bankrupcy" and "discharged." I checked with the county clerks office and green tree is no where on there. The last thing it shows is a transfer to another company in 2005. I went back and looked at my bk papers and the debt was not stripped.

I don't have enough cash to settle right now. I plan on staying in the house at this time and am not sure what to expect. If greentree isn't listed with the county clerks office and I did want to sell...what happens there? I don't want to keep sending them monthly payments if at some point I am going to settle with them at sometime for significantly less that the full amount. I haven't made a payment in 6 months and haven't heard a peep from them. No letters. No calls. The lender that carries my 1st mortgage resumed sending monthly statements after my BK was completed as I expected.

Fortunately, I am not underwater with this house and believe I have about $10,000 or so equity. Would they notify me prior to starting foreclosure proceedings to work with me? Just very confused.

Your 2nd mortgage holder can't ask for payments post discharge, but they still have a lien on the home. (Unless you see a release of lien or discharge of mortgage at the county recorders office, someone still has a lien on the property)

Since you have equity in the home, and it sounds like you want to keep your home, start saving money. When you have 10% or so of the balance owed them, call and talk to them about negotiating to release the lien.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

How does one generally start the negotiation process? Do I call or just send them a certified letter with a lowball offer? I appreciate all the advice and info here. Thanks guys.

Also...my 1st mortgage was just recently transferred to SPS. My payments are current on the 1st and have been for over 5 years. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with getting their interest rate lowered. I have thought about calling and and saying "hey...lower my interest or I'm gonna refinance with someone else." Not sure how effective that would be.....just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
        Your 2nd mortgage holder can't ask for payments post discharge....
        Are you sure this applies in this case as well? I thought mortgages wouldn't be discharged in CH13 BKs..
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I'd like to see how this turns out for you with Green Tree my HELOC with them is completely unnderwater, and i'm 180 days past due. Trying to get a charge-off then settlement if possible.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X