top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long to File Bankruptcy after Creditors Write Off Debt Owed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question How Long to File Bankruptcy after Creditors Write Off Debt Owed?

How much time do I have to file bankruptcy after the creditors have written off my debt to debt collectors? I retained an attorney, but I can't afford to pay to actually file due to being disabled and having limited income. When the collectors call, I just give them my attorney's name and phone number.

Sounds like you are going to file Chapter 7, assuming your "limited income" is less than your state's median income figure. Typically, it takes collection agencies several months to a year or more before they initiate a lawsuit. Realize that debt collectors can do absolutely nothing until such time as a money judgment is granted in civil court. The larger the debt, the higher the probability that legal action will be taken against you sooner rather than later.

Comment

As far as the costs to file, you can fill out an indigent form and your filing fees can be waved. Don't worry about CA's they just are doing their job no matter how nasty they get. Just "kill 'em with kindness" and pass on your lawyers name. Best to you. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X