I REALLY surprised a creditor :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I REALLY surprised a creditor :)

On Friday, I got a letter in the mail from a CA about a GEMB/JC Penney account that was discharged in my BK. I called them because I had never seen anything from this CA come in the mail. They were new.

A guy answered, I gave him all the info and he asked how we could take care of the debt. I said "I did...I filed bankruptcy and was discharged on the 10th." He asked when I filed and I told him October 5th, 2010...He said "WHAT?"

They bought the debt in November...Sounded like someone was ticked off that they bought an uncollectable debt
    Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

LOVE it!!! Good for you! Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, how much was the debt? Not that it concerns you, but I wonder if they have any legal recourse against the company they bought it from....

Comment

The original debt was around $1500-with fees and everything they added in, I am sure way more.
      Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

Thats the risk the bottom feeders take when they purchase bad accounts for pennies on the dollar figuring they will make some sort of profit on it.
        Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

What a GREAT story. Thanks a million for sharing, made my day.

Good luck to all.
          No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Ha, something similar happened to me as well:

I received a voice-message from a collector on our old phone-number. I called back and provided my info. I had the .pdf-file from Pacer ahead of me when I asked the for the account-# of the original creditor - to make sure it was included. It was. They purchased this debt as well - probably post filing since the matrix showed a different collection-agency.

The lady started: 'Well, the amount currently due is $50K and is still occuring interest every day....". I told her it was IIB. The joy-level of FINALLY having me on the line dropped immediately and I was asked for my BK-lawyer info.
            Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
            FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
            FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

It not often that you hear a story like that one, that's a classic. LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tyson24 View Post
                On Friday, I got a letter in the mail from a CA about a GEMB/JC Penney account that was discharged in my BK. I called them because I had never seen anything from this CA come in the mail. They were new.

A guy answered, I gave him all the info and he asked how we could take care of the debt. I said "I did...I filed bankruptcy and was discharged on the 10th." He asked when I filed and I told him October 5th, 2010...He said "WHAT?"

They bought the debt in November...Sounded like someone was ticked off that they bought an uncollectable debt
                Love it! Debt being had by debt. Serves them right for trying to make a 100 dollars out of 15 cents.

Comment

Great story that's one for the little guys!!!

Comment

I had Sprint sell my debt to a creditor after my BK was discharged. They were IIB. Discharge was in August, got the letter in October. I had a smile in my voice as I told the collector that fact. All for something like $140.

Comment

Great stories! I love the element of surprise!
                      Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

Congratulations. That just about brought a smile to my face!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X