top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why am I so nervous? Appt. in the morning to go over paperwork with attorney...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why am I so nervous? Appt. in the morning to go over paperwork with attorney...

I am so anxious about this. I have no idea why. I've met with the attorney twice already. He's very easy going. Very reassuring. Maybe because dh is going with me this time? Maybe because I'm afraid I messed something up on our paperwork, or forgot something? (What happens in that case? Do they just have you bring it in later?)

I'm nervous about the online class we take there. I have no idea why. I'm sure it's absolutely no big deal.

I'm afraid we'll get to the bottom line and the attorney will say, "Nope, no Chapter 7 for you". Even though, he's indicated, over and over we'll be fine. But now, we're going over all the paperwork and everything...maybe he'll see something that indicates we can't.

I'm afraid the stress of it will cause dh and I to fight afterward tomorrow. I have to say, I have no idea how we've managed this past year without fighting more. Amazingly enough, we've actually got along pretty well considering the financial mess. The phone calls. The process servers.

If I'm this freaked out now, I can't imagine how I'll do at the 341.

Originally posted by JEM View Post
    I am so anxious about this. I have no idea why. I've met with the attorney twice already. He's very easy going. Very reassuring. Maybe because dh is going with me this time? Maybe because I'm afraid I messed something up on our paperwork, or forgot something? (What happens in that case? Do they just have you bring it in later?)

I'm nervous about the online class we take there. I have no idea why. I'm sure it's absolutely no big deal.

I'm afraid we'll get to the bottom line and the attorney will say, "Nope, no Chapter 7 for you". Even though, he's indicated, over and over we'll be fine. But now, we're going over all the paperwork and everything...maybe he'll see something that indicates we can't.

I'm afraid the stress of it will cause dh and I to fight afterward tomorrow. I have to say, I have no idea how we've managed this past year without fighting more. Amazingly enough, we've actually got along pretty well considering the financial mess. The phone calls. The process servers.

If I'm this freaked out now, I can't imagine how I'll do at the 341.
    Actually, the fact that you have an attorney should reduce 90% of your stress. Your attorney is there to help you with the majority of the work and prevent you from making mistakes, so relax. The 341 is really easy. Just listen to others that go before you and you will get an idea of most of the questions the judge will ask you. The judge may throw in a curve ball question, so be prepared, but it's really easy.

The 2 tests you have to take will take you about an hour or so each. So just read through the info and have your budget ready to look at (you will need a budget showing how much you pay for bills such as rent, car, gas, food, etc. to fill in the columns). If you make any mistakes, the counselor at the testing places will go over the wrong answers with you and then you move on.

Comment

Your attorney sounds like he runs a pretty tight outfit, letting you take the pre-bk financial management course in his office. That way, he knows you did it, and he's there, or someone from his office will help you through it. Then he has that, and all your paperwork ready to go. Sounds to me, with the tight ship he runs, he'll let you know if he's missing something. Good luck to you! Keep us posted how it goes!
      Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

Meeting went just fine. All of my worries were for NOTHING. The attorney said that was the hardest part, going over all the paperwork. He said everything else will be easy. I hope he's right.

He said we were very well prepared (ok, *I* was. Dh *let* me do all the paperwork. LOL) The only thing we needed was dh's SS card, because he thought he had it in his wallet. Turns out he can't even find it. So we'll have to try to get a new one mailed before the 341. Attorney said if for some reason it doesn't get here before then (which it should, we aren't even FILING till next week), we can use dh's military discharge papers, or something else with his SSN on it.

Anyway, attorney said that our numbers look great. No "red flags" on in any areas. MORE THAN ENOUGH room in our exemptions.

The biggest shocker. When we totaled all the unsecured debt. I know the amount was inflated because of all the collection expenses and attorney fees added to everything. Some accounts have DOUBLED since we stopped paying (a year ago). But we were just over the $100K mark now. I felt like someone had kicked me at that point.

Their office is preparing the papers this week and we'll go back in on Wed. next week to sign and file. I can't believe it's finally going to happen.

I have to say, I thought I'd been handling the stress "ok", but as soon as we got on the elevator to go home, I realized that I had the WORST headache. I felt like I was going to throw up. I think the stress that I'd been holding on to was finally releasing and wow, did I ever feel like garbage. Relieved and at peace at the same time though.

Comment

Hi Jem!
          Congrats on getting through that meeting. I am now opening a bottle of wine for us to share <clinking glasses> I have to admit I was kind of the same way. I actually work in a law firm with lawyers every day, and I, too, was stressed about going to see our attorney. I've seen them screw up enough times and I was so worried about MY case, but truly at the end of the day they really do know what they're doing. Just so you know, I was the exact same way about the 341 and that turned out to just fine too, so try not to stress in a month when you have to go to that. Congrats! You're on your way. . .
          Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Oh - forgot to mention - I was also SHOCKED at the amount of unsecured debt. But I know a very large amount of it was late fees, high interest fees, etc. That alone was reason enough to file! The banks truly disgust me.
            Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Glad to hear it Jem! Make sure you take your time in reviewing the petition docs and they match the numbers you gave to your attorney.
              Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

JEM - I needed a new social security card a few years ago - had also lost mine. When I went to the SS office, they actually gave me a notarized paper with all my information on it, including my # and that I had applied for a duplicate card. I was able to use this for the legal purpose I needed it. Maybe this helps you? My new card took about 3 weeks to arrive in the mail, if I recall correctly.
                Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by chicagoannie View Post
                  JEM - I needed a new social security card a few years ago - had also lost mine. When I went to the SS office, they actually gave me a notarized paper with all my information on it, including my # and that I had applied for a duplicate card. I was able to use this for the legal purpose I needed it. Maybe this helps you? My new card took about 3 weeks to arrive in the mail, if I recall correctly.
                  Ya, we figure we'll apply for a new one for dh and if it doesn't come in time, we have the paper from the SS office or the alternate forms of ID that the attorney said dh could use.

If we don't file till next week and our 341 is approx. 30 days after that, we should be fine on the SSC arriving in time. But, I'm a safe player, I like to have a plan B. (And C) LOL

Comment

We were shocked too when we went to the attorney's to go over our paperwork before filing, could not believe the numbers! But you are right, alot of the credit card totals includes ridiculous penalties and high interest charges plus additional fees from collection companies added. At our 341 a couple weeks ago, the trustee asked why our credit card balances were so high and that's what I told him, most of it was high interest charges, penalties etc. He did not question any further. Sounds like you are good to go now!
                    Filed BK Chapter 7 - 11/12/10 341 Meeting - 01/07/11
                    Notice of no distribution - 01/12/11
                    DISCHARGED - 03/09/2011

Comment

For me the hardest part was swallowing my pride and making the decision to file. It took 3 years of insolvency, a short sale of my home from my former marriage (for which I signed a promissory note to pay back the deficiency over 8 years), a layoff (and that was only after spending the first 6 months of it continuing to make the $1200+ min. payments for 6 months with the help of my new wife's student loan overages!) to FINALLY make me realize that this had been a long time coming. The initial meetings with the attorney brought about a lot of anxiety but once the 341, all 60 seconds of it, came and went, it was smooth sailing from there. It's a big event and it's natural to be nervous, but you're most of the way there already just by gathering all your information and putting it in the hands of your attorney. Congrats and best wishes!
                      4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
                      5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
                      10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X