Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few tips on Bk and Credit counseling please

Is it true you have to do Credit counseling six months before you file

i live with parents disable work partime. the creditors will not work with melive in the Garden state how to pick a good lawyer & creditor counseling

You do have to do a credit counseling course within 180 days of filing. It's a very simple process. Go here, click on the drop down menu to find your state, and you'll find a list of approved counseling providers. It can be done online. If you shop around you can find one that doesn't cost you anything.

Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

My attorney included the credit counseling courses (preBK and pre-discharge) in his fee. When I went online to take the courses, I noticed he overcharged ;) for them. However, I figured it was worth the extra cost for the convenience of having them take care of the filing, etc. with the courts.

The pre-filing course was simple and basically I just clicked through it. (Okay, so if I knew it all, why was a filing for BK ;)).

The pre-discharge course was fun and I actually enjoyed it.

Comment

Hi Ulita,
        Welcome to the forum from another NJ'er.
        How much do you owe? That's an important part of the decision process.
        Have you stopped paying yet? They won't work with you until you stop paying them. I haven't paid for awhile and now they are all want to "help" me.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

over 20.000 no I am not paying

Comment

You can do the pre-filing course "free" at http://www.consumerbankruptcycounseling.info/. I put free in quotes because, they charge you $5 for the certificate. They don't guarantee how quickly you will get the certificate, so if you are filing in less than a week, it's not a good choice. Read the FAQs if you are under any time constraints.

ETA: The best way to find a good attorney is by asking people you know who may have filed BK. Or, if you know an attorney who practices in another area of law, ask them for a referral. If neither of those sources are an option, call your county bar association for a referral http://www.njsba.com/lawyer_referral/ Google always works too. Most BK attorneys offer free initial consultations. Consult with at least 3 before chosing one.
            Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you all, i tried with the Creditors one more time but they want this down payment,I need a lawyer I could but a small down payment in there hand right now,but they want a large one I want a lawyer.This is why I stop paying the debt they want to much no break.

Comment

As to your original question, no, you do not have to do it 6 months prior to filing. But you do have to have it ready for the lawyer when you hire one. (At least the one I interviewed said you did) But you do not have to have it 6 months before you can file.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X