Suggestions on post BK Pre-discharge course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on post BK Pre-discharge course

We had our 341 a couple of weeks ago, thought we had 40 days after the 341 to do the pre-discharge course. Our attorney sent us a letter in the mail stating we must complete this class by Friday, February 4. That's actually less than 30 days after our 341, he is recommending the site at- a247 class- for $17.50 per person (so would be $35 for us). Looking for suggestions for the easiest, affordable pre-discharge class to take, after struggling to pay $1800 for the BK just hate paying out more!
    Filed BK Chapter 7 - 11/12/10 341 Meeting - 01/07/11
    Notice of no distribution - 01/12/11
    DISCHARGED - 03/09/2011

Ours was $15.00 for single *OR* couple. So it would save you $20.00.

So nice - had the certificate in my e-mail with-in minutes of them opening the morning after we each had finished the course. We each had to spend the 2+ hours but it was interesting and educational (more so to me than the 1st course that we did with them). One of you may have to talk to the counselor on the phone via their 800 number at least once - it was like 3 minutes. LOL.

Some places you can find this course for free - I just can tell you that we had both our certificates quickly and they were filed without a hitch.

Please double check on your state's website that you can use them - but it said Ohio was okay on theirs.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I thought the debtor education course had to be completed and certificate filed within 45 days of the 341?
      Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
      New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by chicagoannie View Post
        I thought the debtor education course had to be completed and certificate filed within 45 days of the 341?
        The only time requirement I can find is that the course must be completed after filing and before discharge. See bankruptcy code section 727(a)(11) http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...7----000-.html for a Chap 7 and section 1328(g) for a Chap 13 http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...8----000-.html

The attorney is probably giving a deadline to make sure it gets done.

Toby629, try searching the forums. There have been posts in the past where people say what they paid and where they took the course. But, I don't think I've heard of anything cheaper than $20 for a couple for the post filing course.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

ValleYum, thanks for the link, $15 sounds better than paying $35 right now. Will definately check this out, saving $20 means alot with our situation, that buys almost a tank of gas or groceries.

LadyInTheRed thanks for the links, will check them out also. Really appreciate everyone's input!
          DISCHARGED - 03/09/2011

Comment

Make sure they have a live operator you can call after you complete the course. I took a free one and the certificate never came and I kept emailing and no one ever responded. My attorney then paid for a course with a live person to speak to so I was assured my certificate was on its way without any delay.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
              Make sure they have a live operator you can call after you complete the course. I took a free one and the certificate never came and I kept emailing and no one ever responded. My attorney then paid for a course with a live person to speak to so I was assured my certificate was on its way without any delay.
              Good advice, I will make sure we have a live operator for sure, we aren't going to take a chance of messing up our BK. It's been a long hard road and we can finally see the light at the end.
              DISCHARGED - 03/09/2011

Comment

Gah! I paid $50!

Comment

Originally posted by JGra View Post
                  Gah! I paid $50!
                  OMG, that is alot of money!
                  DISCHARGED - 03/09/2011