Is this normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this normal

Called and made an appointment with a Bankruptcy attorney today and he wants 100 bucks for the first appointment which includes the mean's test. I just want to see what my choices are. If he files for me then he said he would use the 100 bucks toward his fee's. Also got 30 pages of stuff to fill out for his appointment with me.

$100 for an attorney to administer the means test, look over 30 pages of your completed paperwork and then tell you what your BK options are sounds like a great deal to me. Versus a free consult where they give you opinions based on what you tell them instead of what the financial facts may really be.
    Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
    New Job 7-2011

Comment

I interviewed 4 attorney's before we chose the one we have. None asked for money for the first appt.

Comment

Our consultation was free, but he told us if we wanted to retain the firm they would need $100 to get the paperwork started, and the remainder before we filed it. So basically it was $100 on that day, but it went toward the total amount.
        Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

I paid 0 for the first lawyer we saw who was an idiot. Not much choices here where we live. So the second lawyer charged 250.00 for a two hour consultation, and even though it was not what I wanted to pay, I went ahead and did it, based on the good things I had heard about her. She actually spent three hours with us. She did apply that to our BK, which was 2800.00 plus that 250.00.

Expensive I thought until we went into the 341 and she was the only one who had every thing in order, and we did not get grilled by the trustee. It was unbelievable what I saw some of the other attorneys were like and the issues they brought to the table that impacted their clients.

I went with my gut, even while cringing at the cost, and have not regretted paying her one little cent.

Go with what feels right for you.
          Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
          DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X