top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible AP - or are they just trying to scare us into paying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the AP was dropped. We paid them nothing After the pretrial meeting, I guess they knew they would not win.

Done and done.

Comment

Good to hear, sounds like creditor counsel is just getting lazy

Comment

Congratulations to you, great news!

Comment

Congrats on the win! It makes me happy to see someone stand up for right.

Just curious, how much did your attorney charge you for the extras related to the AP?
          There are two secrets for success in life:
          1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Biz - glad to hear it!
            Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
            New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by losingmybiz View Post
              Yes. PLUS...our lawyer is filing a counterclaim based on the new federal truth in lending laws...anyone have experience with that?
              yes, we did and but only got atty fees and all court costs.

and congrats!!!!! glad that's off your plate!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Question on this subject. What are the normal limits on cc charges before filing? Filing in the next few weeks. Have used my card up untill a few weeks ago but only to pay oil bill, AT&T wireless bill and gas for the car and some groceries. The biggest charge was around $500 for the oil bill.

Back in August my desktop blew due to lightning storm and bought a dell laptop for around $800. How will this be handled? Other than these charges there has been no other use of the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                  Okay, I didn't see the specific use in the original post, looks like it was to repair termite damage and water damage (assuming that is true), then the debtor has the stronger case. HOWEVER, the decision to defend needs to balanced by the practicality and cost of defending. If it would cost you $2,500 to defend and the creditor would accept $1,500 to settle, what would you do.

I think this is a good case to fight.
                  I was wondering... what if you file BK pro se? The cost to defend against an AP would be zero, right? I mean all you would need is some form and maybe a filing fee of some kind, right?

I'm glad it worked out for the OP.

Personally, if I ever filed BK, I would defend against any and all AP's. I would never settle any of them. Just take my chances that they would lose.

Of course, at this point, all of my credit card charges ended in the year 2005 and early 2006. So, I think an AP would be very unlikely in my case.

Think about that... I haven't used a credit card or any form of credit since early 2006. It is amazing what you can get by without.
                  The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                  "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                  Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                    I was wondering... what if you file BK pro se? The cost to defend against an AP would be zero, right? I mean all you would need is some form and maybe a filing fee of some kind, right?
                    As a debtor who filed an complaint under the Adversary Proceeding (AP) pro se, I can tell you that the cost is not $0. You have to issue summons and serve papers here and there. That cost does go up... especially when mailing (or over-nighting) documents that are in the 10s of pages.

Additionally, attending hearings does cost you time and time could literally mean money. Court is held during business hours, so attending would mean that a person on hourly wages could lose out on pay -- real money. Even a salaried person may need to use vacation time which is real money as well. Unless you're going to research at your local law library or you hang out at the U.S. Federal Courthouse (for free PACER access), you will accrue lots of PACER fees. (Been there, done that.)

If you need to call expert witnesses, which is a reality of a lawsuit, you could have costs for that as well.

However, the costs are lower if you do this pro se. I estimate that a pro se adversary proceeding that ends up getting dismissed or settled at or by the time of the first scheduling conference, is about $200 out of pocket. That's just my opinion.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X