top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My paralegal is so mean, bad attitude :( Ahhhhh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My paralegal is so mean, bad attitude :( Ahhhhh!!!

I have an attorney that I really like, I think he is very qualified, personable, knowledgable, and answers my email right away. However....

His paralegal is so mean...I try not to bother her, and honestly I ask a lot of my questions here on the forum, but when ever I ask her a simple question, she breathes deep, looks at me in a very condecending manner, and answers in a rude tone.

Ummmmm, excues me, I am paying you!!!

I am always nice to her, I say hello, ask her how her day is, blah, blah, blah....I can tell from her personality she is a very no fun, no nonsense, by the book kind of girl.

I sent my attorney an email about this, and he was very nice about the situation. He told me I am not the first person to complain about her, but he stated it's usually men that complain about her...why is this behavior ok??

So she may be good at her job, but I think a client is looking for the whole package, if I acted like that at work, I would be fired, bottom line.

Anyone ever have a cranky paralegal???

One of the lawyers that I went to see for an initial consultation was quickly ruled out when one of the women from his office (turns out it was his paralegal) came into the lobby area where I was waiting and started badmouthing two clients with the office manager. She made several snarky comments about the BKer and how she TOLD him to close his Wells Fargo checking account, which clearly he did not do, because he had called in panicked and wondering what could be done wuth the now-frozen account. I don't recall what the other BKer had done to warrant a water cooler discussion, but either way, it was one of the most unprofessional displays I've seen in a long time. It wasn't until after I met with the attorney that I was introduced to his snarky paralegal. Walked out and never even called them back with an explanation around why I'd chosen someone else for representation.
    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Well, I'm in the process now and paid in full. It's not a deal breaker for me, but she better watch her tone. I am a very nice person, but being in the process of BK you would think someone in the field would be a little compasionate. She is not, no people skills what so ever.
      I will see how it goes, the most important thing is that the BK is taken care of properly. However, I do expect to be treated with respect. I was raised that way, so when others do not act the same way, it is a little surprising...???

Comment

I'd put her in her place. She has no right to be rude to her, let her know. She is being rude because you are allowing her to be.

This is what I say when people treat me rudely when I am being polite, (happens a lot, I work at a LARGE hospital).

"I am speaking to you like a professional. I expect you to speak to me the same way."

Or, you can always say,

"What crawled up YOUR a** and died???!!!

"Poor you. It must be so hard to live a life as a complete b****."

"Is there a reason you feel the need to treat everyone like s***?"
        I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
        Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

I had a bad experience with my attorney's staff, too, along with his boss, the head of the firm. I really feel your pain. The excuse I received was that they deal with a lot of stressful calls and the grunt work of preparing the filings every day. I don't like that answer, and I never heard of it anywhere else or experienced this anywhere else but with BK firms, but unfortunately, this is how some firms operate. As long as your attorney knows your feelings and you're happy with his representation, that's all that matters. If she/he is a problem in you communicating with your attorney, I suggest you tell him that you only want to communicate with him by either email or a direct line. That's how I handled with mine.
          Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

You could always ask that she not work on your case, at all. They work for you, not the other way around.

Comment

I am in similar situation. My attorney's assistant is not really rude persay as she is very Stick up her butt, by the book to a point of being rude. My wife and I tried to crack the ice, but nothing. No small talk, Not even a grin. Considering they are making a crap load of money doing this you think they wouldn't be so damn depressing. My lawyer is a 2 person mill, Lawyer and the aid is his wife, So no complaining would do any good.

Funny thing is it is like we married them. Before we paid the were at least somewhat personable, After we paid, suddenly we were talking to robots. As long as they continue to do there job the way we perceive it should be done, I don't care. After this done, It is unlikely ill ever talk to them again.

As for the water cooler talk, I have done work at a lot of lawyers offices and it doesn't really matter where you are, you wouldn't believe what some of the stuff that is said about folks in general, other lawyers, and even clients. You thank the talk is bad, you should see some of the emails that go back and forth. All I can really say is Attorney client privilege is mostly a joke.
              Last edited by etechjc; 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM.
              Chapter 7
              Filed, 12/21/2010
              Discharged, 03/30/2011

Comment

Etechjc, thank you for the post, that is exactly what it is like, except for the fact that my attorney is very nice and personable to me. I did send him an email and complain, but didn't want to sound like a cry baby. I can take care of myself, but I know this man on a personal level, so I thoought he might want to know for future clients.
                Yes, she is a stick in the mud, very akward, by the book, if it's not her way it's a problem...don't deviate from her agenda, which means don't ask any questions, just shut up and listen. I love people, Lol.
                I too only care if the job is completed correctly, so if she is lacking in people skills, she better be one heck of a paralegal!!!

Comment

UPDATE!!!

I sent some info. to my paralegal via email today, the following is what she sent back to me:

"Thank you very much!

I will add her information to your case.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call me."

That says to me, that my attorney had words with her thank goodness.

I am usually the person that won't say anything, and just lets stuff go becuase I am afraid that it will make it worse for me. This time it seems to have paid off...we shall see. I will keep you all posted

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X