top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it more discouraged to file for BK when in military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it more discouraged to file for BK when in military?

I was reading an article about the predatory lenders that feed on the nation's servicemen, and in it there was line that the military culture is "to pay your debts." Obviously, BK is a violation of that creed. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about what a BK would do a serviceman's career - or was/is a serviceman now and can comment on this topic in any way.

I filled several years after my time in the Navy but I had friends that filed while in and they didn't have any problems advancing. In fact one guy a E-6 advanced to E-7 within a year of being discharged, it was his first time up for E-7. YMMV
    ==================================
    Filed: 4-30-2010
    341 Complete: 6-16-2010
    Discharged and Closed 8/17/2010

Comment

I wouldn't say it's more discouraged by any means. If you have to file, you have to file. Enough said. Granted, a lot of people do enlist into the military after college to pay off student loans, but they really couldn't be any happier with the amount of people that are joining and truly giving themselves to the service.

You have to really good courses of actions, you can talk to a bankruptcy attorney. Most offer a free consultation to go over your issue and concerns, I would recommend coming into the meeting with all the information you can possibly find on your matter. The other sound option you have, is talk to the higher ups in the service. I'm sure you can find someone else that was in your shoes, and ask what they did or even ask your officer about what he thinks filing for bankruptcy would imply to you.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!
      Some good resources for bankruptcy: My Bankruptcy Resource - a directory of lawyers by city and state. http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/Bankruptcy.aspx - The US's page for information on filing and chapter 7s.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X