questions on HOA arrears and BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions on HOA arrears and BK

I didn't realize this before (but it makes total sense) that HOA arrears are secured debt. We have approx. 2K in arrears w/our HOA and they have a lien on our home. I'm wondering how this works with the means test and schedule J.

Do you list the arrears on the portion of the means where it asks about secured debt and arrears?
    Do you list it on schedule J somewhere?

We are in a payment agreement w/them right now and pay $175/month until it's all taken care of (they roll current payments into this too)- if we stop paying they already have our info and can garnish. Can/should we just continue to pay this during our BK? Is that something we could stop temporarily? I'd like to not pay them next month to help fund our BK. We plan on staying in the house and if we stop paying, file the BK- they can't even attempt to garnish until after we are discharged or can they even do that after discharge? Perhaps after the discharge we could work out another payment arrangment? Just trying to figure out how this all might play out. If we didn't pay them, would the lien just sit there and they couldn't do anything until if/when we decided to try to sell the house?

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X