Take Money out of bank or don't worry about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take Money out of bank or don't worry about it

I haven't paid mortgage, 2nd, heloc or cc's since June. I have been on unemployment and worked a temp job for a few months. Have approx 4000 in the bank. Should I take it out and hide it at home or not worry about it? I plan on filing soon, waiting on Dr visit to see if I have to have surgery on my back after a fall. My son keeps admonishing me, telling me to get it out of the bank before a lien is placed on it.

I know I have to account for the money to the Trustee when I file and will keep all receipts. What advice can you guru's give me? It is a small neighborhood bank. I switched from Wells Fargo after reading all the posts about WF here.

Does anyone have a judgment against you?
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Do you owe the same bank where you have your account any money?

Comment

No to both. My cc-s (4) are all under $2000. Received a NOD but no notice of Sheriff's sale yet. 1st mortgage is 75,000, 2nd is 25,000 so I don't think the 2nd will try to foreclose. Am planning on giving up the house.
        I don't want to lose the money and the lawyer I talked to won't answer (which I understand) until I actually hire him. I'm planning on interviewing more lawyers this coming week.

Comment

Money situation

I had $4000 in my new bank account, that I had no prior relationship with just before I filed and some cash in the house(which I kept receipts for spending). Attorney told me I could leave up to $1000 in my account because the BK trustee wouldn't go after such a small amount, so I paid the $1500 attorney fee and 2 months of rent to eat away at some more of the money and bring me below $1000. My attorney was able to file my bankruptcy petition 2 weeks after I met with her which stopped all actions of my creditors. Hopefully if you file quickly, you can keep from having a lien placed against your account.

Comment

You don't need to worry about creditor's getting at your bank account until they get a judgment. If they sued you today, it would be at least a couple of months before they could get a judgment and put a lien on your account.

As far as the BK trustee getting money in your account, Minnesota bankruptcy exemptions allow you to keep salary you deposited into your account 20 days before filing. So, make sure you spend any money you earn more than 20 days before filing. You can also choose to use federal exemptions which include a wild card of $925 and $8,725 of unused homestead exemption. This is all according to the following website: http://www.bankruptcyinformation.com/mn_exemp.htm Check other sources to make sure it is up to date.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I would wait until you get a notice of being sued. Oh, and if you do pull the money out and hide it, be sure to declare it as cash on hand when you file for BK. Keep any receipts that you used the money for.

Comment

Thanks to all. I thought when I moved it to a new bank that it would be safe and do plan on obtaining a lawyer soon, which would take 1/2 of it. Also have asked unemployment to put monies on a debit card (which I received today) so there won't be any more going into the bank. I'll start using money orders rather than checks. I knew that I would have to account for any monies spent so have kept receipts. Just wanted to make sure the 4000 doesn't disappear!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X