top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security Reinvestigation - Who Here Has Had One Due to BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Security Reinvestigation - Who Here Has Had One Due to BK?

Currently working towards filing a Ch7 BK in April/May timeframe. Had a PR done for an SSBI about two years ago (I switched employers right as I was meeting with my investigator, and she was aware of my high debt ratio at the time, but understood I was in sort of limbo with things). Began a strategic default on unsecured debts after consulting an attorney back in June 2010 (currently on retainer for the case), and kept both my management and security folks in the loop during that time (originally, security mentioned that any adverse actions would be reported after 180 days delinquency).

Long story short: severely underwater on my current residence (80/20, 10 yr IO ARM on 1st, 15/2 balloon on 2nd), which I left for almost two years after the passing of my mother-in-law. Moved in with father-in-law, who was very anal about everything in his house (to the point we were forced to eat out nightly because he complained on a daily basis that using "his" stove and fridge was wasting energy). Moved back to current residence in attempt to try and qualify for HARP, but stonewalled at every turn, including the excuse from the primary mortgage holder that I needed to be behind in order for them to even talk to me.

Flash forward to today: currently served on two CC accounts, which were reported to security as soon as I discovered them (through another attorney's mailing, of all things). Security at office got a ping from DSS for a reinvestigation, so now I'm filling out my SF-86 to outline current strategy. Been advised by counsel that I make too much with current family size to file Ch7, but doesn't want me in a Ch13. Wife is expecting #2 in April, so hence the delay.

Any thoughts out there in cleared land as to any issues/worries/other things I need to be concerned with regarding this? Have I been giving the powers that be enough information to go on to mitigate concerns, or will the adjudicator not care? Just looking for peace of mind. Once we're in the system, I'll have less to worry about, but I just want to be able to move on with as little professional damage as possible. Thanks in advance.
    Filed: 28 July 11 (Ch. 7) / 341: 6 Sep 11 / No Dist: 12 Sep 11
    Discharge: 9 Nov 11 / CLOSED: 15 Nov 11

Let's see - how do I phrase this...

A "friend" told me that he was reinvestigated during his BK process, but he didn't have the added element of cases that had actually been filed against him. Eventually everything worked out for my "friend". The impression that my "friend" got was that the investigator had to judge the risk factors based on each individual situation. BK is an issue, but not as bad as having a crushing amount of debt that you can't pay for. Once you file BK, the financial pressure is off - so to say. Of course there is the "why did you get into financial trouble" aspect that will need to be addressed as well. Gambling, hookers and blow, etc. Patterns of behavior are an important factor. Do the things you do put you in a vulnerable position? I'm sure you know the thought process involved...

Of course I really know NOTHING about this. Disco? I don't even know how to do the Shuffle.

Comment

To follow up on this (man, it has been so long): In February, I filed my SF-86 and got a response back from DSS essentially closing my reinvestigation. Apparently they were okay with the fact I was intending to file BK while waiting on the arrival of child #2. Since then, child #2 has arrived, we've done our pre-filing counseling, and the pending cases are in some sort of limbo (default on the first case, jurisdictional dismissal w/o prejudice on the second). Just need to update my paperwork with my lawyer and then it's on to the Trustee.

Lesson learned: Honesty truly IS the best policy. :-)
      Filed: 28 July 11 (Ch. 7) / 341: 6 Sep 11 / No Dist: 12 Sep 11
      Discharge: 9 Nov 11 / CLOSED: 15 Nov 11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X