Purchases prior to filing 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchases prior to filing 13

I am going to receive a bonus in the month before filing 13 and was wondering how some purchases could be viewed. We are moving and need a desk for my daughter who is enrolled in an on-line high school (home we are currently in has a built in desk) - might need to spend a couple hundred. Second need is we have 15 year old wicker chairs with our kitchen table set that feel like they will break the next time I sit in one after having one too many slices of pizza .....might be a couple hundred as well.

We have been in bankruptcy spending budget mode for a few months now but I know these things are needed and would rather not have extra cash in the account when I file?

Stopped using cc's a couple of months back.

Please share thoughts on how this might be viewed.

Our checking account statements were never viewed. We were incredibly cautious for months, and in hindsight, probably needed to be frugal but not nearly as thrifty. Had we known, we would have taken care of a few needs because now we do not have the discretionary income without saving, and am praying the items don't permanently break before then, lol. The expenses you are talking about seem reasonable and not overboard, but I'm only one person. I do know many others had to submit statements. Even then I think you'd be able to support those expenses...

However, in the thrifty category cause I love saving money, especially now, have you considered craigslist or a similar site? I have found that those type of furniture items (non-upolhostered) can be found very inexpensively and in great shape for nothing on the dollar.
    5 Year Countdown of Chapter 13 plan:
    February 2011: 2 months down....only 58 to go

Comment

As long as you buy these items with cash, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you can exempt them and don't buy anything extravagant.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks LadyinRed. What does exempt them mean?

Comment

Originally posted by TPPRAP View Post
          Thanks LadyinRed. What does exempt them mean?
          When you file BK, you have to list all of your assets and claim exemptions based on your state laws regarding what assets are safe from collection by creditors. In a Chap 13, if you have assets that you can't exempt, what you pay to unsecured creditors during the life of your plan must equal or exceed the value of the non-exempt assets. In a Chap 7, the trustee could take the non-exempt assets, sell them and distribute the proceeds to creditors. Google "texas bankruptcy exemptions" to find TX bankruptcy exemptions.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X