creditor objections??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creditor objections??

What exactly is a creditor objection? Is that where they would come to the 341 meeting?

Why would they object and what happens when they do?

I guess I don't understand how they can dispute anything once you have claimed them.
    Jen
    "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Just as you have the right to include them in your bankruptcy, your creditors have the right to dispute being included to dissolve all or a portion of your debt. Depends who your creditors are, but you are probably ok. More haggle for them to fight it than to write it off as bad debt. Nobody came to my 341 and that includes a courtroom full of about 30 people filing. However, this is the creditors' one chance and after this and the bankruptcy is final it becomes illegal for them to continue to try and collect the debt.

Comment

A creditor objection is generally an objection to the discharge of your debt with them. I think most commonly they try to prove that you knew you were insolvent and yet purchased large items or took out cash advances anyway.

Here is a great link to information about when/why a creditor might appear at your 341 (very uncommon though)
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Thank you. I will go read that! We made sure not to charge anything after December (and we would have stopped before had we not had received the lawsuit paperwork). I am more concerned about the 2nd mortgage because they have been so VICIOUS in getting the judgment in the first place. They are really the only reason why we are filing $53K is just not doable in a lump sum from us, when they refused to settle.
        Jen

Comment

I wonder why that thread didn't show up in the search I did? I searched on both creditors and objection. Darn. I hate asking repetitive questions!
          Jen

Comment

lol mom2, there are so many threads, it's hard to sift through them. I don't even remember what I searched to find it. The good thing is that there always seems to be someone able to find what helps us when we need it, right?
            Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

True! I am so glad there are MANY patient people on here!
              Jen

Comment

Creditor objections are the rare exception, rather than the rule, when it comes to unsecured debt. When I went to my Chapter 13 341 meeting, there were at least 50 other debtors there, and the trustee had 2 additional assistants conducting the meetings. Before things kicked off, one of the officials addressed the group and told everyone that the 341 meeting is the meeting of the creditors, where the creditors have the opportunity to question the debtor. However, he said - there were no creditors in the building. The reason no creditors show up is because there is no money to be made.
                Unless a debtor leaves a paper trail of abuse, there is no way that a creditor can prove that a debtor obtained money fraudulently (by accepting credit while being insolvent). That is really the only solid basis for objection.

Comment

What about Medical bills? There will be about 2K in medical bills that will be claimed.
                  Jen

Comment

Medical bills are unsecured debt-just like credit card debt.
                    I'd not worry about. Nobody believes medical care is a luxury item.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X