top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to open a checking account at bank whose credit card you BKed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Is it safe to open a checking account at bank whose credit card you BKed?

I'm post-meeting but not yet discharged. I'm considering this because, though I have never had a checking account at this bank before, they are one of the few banks that still have no fees on low-balance accounts. As you know, most banks have instituted substantial fees as a result of the recent federal banking changes (thanks Congress!).
    3/7/11 -

I believe once you file they can't take funds. However, I personally wouldn't take the chance. They could be wrong but you could end up with no money with a drawn out legal process to get your money. Just my opinion...
    Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

Comment

I'm sure an expert will be able to tell you but, I would think the bank could refuse you if they want to. Just a thought.

Comment

I agree with vicmost.
        I believe once you file they can't take funds. However, I personally wouldn't take the chance. They could be wrong but you could end up with no money with a drawn out legal process to get your money. Just my opinion...
        I had (well still actually have an account, but with only $10.00 left in it) at a credit union that I liked. The only problem was that I had a credit line there with a balance of $1,700 still owed on it. On the advice of a friend, in order to have a checking account, before filing BK, I started a checking account at a bank where I owe nothing. My attorney it seems, even had hinted at doing such at thing, though he wouldn't come out and say so.

Well, past the 341 (but not confirmed yet) I am able to use my new checking account at the "new" bank. I certainly am not going to deposit any funds, to my "old bank." I don't want to take the chance.

Comment

I did the same thing. Quietly took my money out of WF (left 24 in there, may close it though before I file - which is any day now) and started a new bank account. The new one must think I am crazy though as I have been taking money out of that account too, as my lawyer told me to only keep 10-20 in the bank. I have to keep 50 to keep it open, and right now it is sitting at 61.13. I think it's safe but wanted to make sure I had a checking acct when all this is over.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X