top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will judgements/liens show up on a background check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will judgements/liens show up on a background check?

I am applying for a volunteer leadership position at my church. I have held a similar position the past 4 years, but they decided to change the process for applying. I specifically asked and was told this will NOT include a credit check, but will include a background check. I'm assuming this is just like a criminal background check, does anyone know if this might include judgements/liens, etc? I'm trying to figure out if I need to somewhat explain my financial situation to the director before they go looking. Not that I believe it's any of their business, but I'd rather be up front about it than have it look like I have skeletons in my closet TIA!

This is a good question. My former employer did a background check on me and questioned me about 2 judgments that were on my record. I did not ask if they ran a credit check and found these, or if they were on the background check.
    Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
    New Job 7-2011

Comment

They could, because they are a matter of public record. I guess it depends on what kind of background check they do.

Comment

I have background checks somewhat regularly. Generally these include criminal records checks and Protective Services clearances. Usually civil judgments will not show up unless it turned into something criminal; i.e. a warrant for contempt of court. Unless a business or non-profit specifically runs a credit check or one of those online services that includes public records, it's unlikely. Most non-profits will save the money and only use services that search criminal and PS records. But, I would consider coming clean on the off chance they do use such a service.
        A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Some background service providers do an all in one check which includes a credit pull. So I would mention it!
          Down but not out!! filed c7 august 2011...341 september 2011... Unsecured debt over $100k.....bk attorney $1200.......bkforum.com Priceless!!!!!

Comment

I know that it may sound weird, but sometimes one's credit reports will not show judgments.

First-hand knowledge in my case. YMMV.

Good luck to us all.
            No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
              I am applying for a volunteer leadership position at my church. I have held a similar position the past 4 years, but they decided to change the process for applying. I specifically asked and was told this will NOT include a credit check, but will include a background check. I'm assuming this is just like a criminal background check, does anyone know if this might include judgements/liens, etc? I'm trying to figure out if I need to somewhat explain my financial situation to the director before they go looking. Not that I believe it's any of their business, but I'd rather be up front about it than have it look like I have skeletons in my closet TIA!
              Well, you have to sign a document to have any background check or credit check done so when that document is supplied to you for signature, it will state exactly what they will do so I suggest you read in full before you sign. Since this is a volunteer position and you are not being paid, they have no need for your SS number except for ID purposes or to run a credit check. If you are asked for your SS#, expect a credit check to be run. In today's world, expect when one applies for any position especially where there could be access to funds of any kind that they will run a credit check. In a church leadership position, you could have access to various accounts or funds.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X