top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find old debts to add to a BK filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find old debts to add to a BK filing?

My wife and I are planning to file a chapter 7 in the next few weeks, and after consulting with an atty, we were told to compile a list of our debts. We have several thousand dollars in medical bills that are a few years old, in addition to some consumer debt. The medical bills long ago went to collections and we have no idea who has them. Is there any good way to find them so we can make sure they are on the bk?

You want to pull a Tri-Merged credit report (all 3) or have your attorney pull one for you. The reason is that some creditors may only report to one of the credit bureaus. You can pull all three for free through annualcreditreport.com, but then you'll need to wait a year to pull another free one, so I just paid my attorney for the report.

Comment

In addition to getting your credit report from all 3 agencies, if you have had any issues with any banks (closed accounts,, bounced checks) contact Chexsystems for their report on your dealings with financial institutions. They will mail you a free report that contains info about you that the banks report to each other, so you can have negative info taken off their system once your BK is discharged.
      Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
      New Job 7-2011

Comment

Thanks guys, ill pull the report and see what I can find. I knew that there were ways to get the first on free... but with so many websites around I didn't know which one to use.

Comment

Alrighty... so I pulled the credit reports for both myself and my wife and found that there were NO medical bills on there. These were incured in june-july 2009.
          Anybody got any other ideas?

Comment

pull debt report.

If your credit provider does not provide you a record for your medical bills, try to ask your bank provider instead. Banks do keep those records just in case you need them for this kind of problems. Also, if this bills were filed in a hospital, surely they also have records of your debts. If all things fails, look for ********.
            Last edited by Flamingo; 02-25-2011, 03:45 AM. Reason: Name removed by moderator

Comment

called the hospital they said they sent it to a collection agency.
              Called said agency, and were told that they didn't have an account for us.
              the plot thickens...

Comment

Originally posted by abinok View Post
                called the hospital they said they sent it to a collection agency.
                Called said agency, and were told that they didn't have an account for us.
                the plot thickens...
                I wouldn't worry too much about this. Since you called the collection agency you now have their name. Add them to the list of creditors just to be on the safe side.
                The "biggie" will be adding the hospital and any doctors that you can think of connected with the medical debt. If somewhere along the line they sell the debt to collection agencies you've got yourself covered as far as the bankruptcy.
                Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
                I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X