USAA and auto insurance renewal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USAA and auto insurance renewal...

I've seen a few threads with people asking if USAA drops you if you file bankruptcy and include them in the filing.

We filed in Jan., and just received our auto insurance renewal yesterday. Our premiums actually went DOWN $4/month.

And yes, we included credit cards from USAA in the Chapter 7.

Well thats good news....but maybe it hasn't hit their system yet, who know's. I have USAA inurance and credit card and was wondering if they will cancel my insurance? Hope not!

Comment

Originally posted by DYLAN150 View Post
      Well thats good news....but maybe it hasn't hit their system yet, who know's. I have USAA inurance and credit card and was wondering if they will cancel my insurance? Hope not!

Oh it hit their system. We have to do the "special log in" after we get the "Since you filed bankruptcy" notice at the top of the screen. LOL.

Comment

I included in C7 my two CC AND our HELOC with USAA. They never touched my deposit accounts. I have about 7 other products with them too. Everything is status quo , EXCEPT for the web log in. I highly recommend downloading important documents to your PC b4 they take away your access. Some things are avail on the mobile web, but some docs are not. They won't help you get them either - in the case of my brokerage account.... I'll report back if my insurance changes...

BTW we're doing a ride through on our car note.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        8/10 - began researching bk, 9/10 - stopped paying ccs, 10/10 - paid atty fees, 11/10 - filed c7 - over median income , 12/22 - 341, 12/23/ - no distribution

Comment

I wonder if its "State" dependent on what they can actually do. In California there are laws protecting consumers from retaliation. Bankruptcy isn't a crime and if consumer do it correctly they should be protected. We're about 1 1/2 years Post Discharge and still have USAA Insurance and my Subscriber's Savings Account, even got a small dividend a few months ago. I've had no problems adding insurance policies or vehicles. We BK'd them for 11K+ but it hasn't affected the insurance side of things.

Comment

Chad, you could be correct. I have not claimed bankruptcy but just stop paying on my cc with them but first I paid my insurnace with them for the next 6 months. I will see what happens. I have had USAA for a long time.

Comment

We filed about 8 months ago and included a USAA Heloc account. We paid our car insurance six months in advance and recently renewed for another six months. our insurance increased by 100.00 when we renewed but I have been afraid to call to find out why. Just after renewing someone hit our car (their fault) and USAA gave us good service and paid on the claim right away. We even received their yearly distribution check after we filed, which was a real surprise.

I read a few bad things about USAA over the last couple of years with regards to filing but recently it seems like they are treating everyone "normally" now, which is the right thing to do IMO. I am glad to hear about the reports of no fee increase when adding a car to the policy or changing the policy. I actually like the "BK" web site better then the pre BK site because its plain, directly gives you what you need and is a no nonsense way of doing business. I don’t miss the fluff.

Comment

I have the following with USAA Checking, Savings, Homeowner's Insurance, Auto Insurance and Term Life Insurance.
                I had a Credit Card with USAA that was paid off before I filed. Having seen these threads about USAA cutting off online banking when you have a BK filing, I called them and asked them to close my Credit Card account. This was a few weeks before I filed. If I remember right, I think we listed USAA Credit Card anyway, for informational purposes, since they would be a creditor that we paid more than $600 to in the last 90 days.

Since we have no debt with USAA that we would be getting discharged, I'm hoping USAA will leave everything as-is and not lock us out of the online banking.

I'll let you know in a few months when we finally get discharged.

Comment

I beleive California ban the use of credit scores to determine car insurance premiums. I wish my state of Washington would. I feel it is unfair. Good to hear about USAA.

Comment

I filed BK7 in 8/09 discharged 11/09 with a balance on a joint credit card with my ex-wife. Reaffirmation was bungled (long story) and I was obligated to pay off that card by my divorce decree.

They cut off the credit line on the card and left it in my ex-wife's name, no problems with my checking account or insurance (auto / renters), including renewals. I moved from VA to Maryland and my insurance premium increased by over 100%, I got a credit score notice but haven't made the request for details on how that impacted me. I don't know whether the change of states and move to Baltimore from Suburban Virginia alone did it, or whether VA doesn't allow scores to impact rates and MD does.
                    Chapter 7 Filed 8/11/2009, Discharged 11/23/2009

Comment

I too have been a USAA member since 2002. They have been excellent over the years and I wish that I didn't have to include them in the BK but as the saying goes "it is what it is." I plan to file on May 1st (June 1st if possible).

I closed the credit account that I had with them and I defunded a passbook savings account as well. I also moved my checking to a local credit union and left the balance in my USAA checking account at $5.

I still have my auto & renters insurance with them and I hope that I can keep it. I have not been able to find better rates with anyone else, including Geico, Progressive, AllState, etc. So hopefully when I do file BK I can keep my USAA membership along with the auto insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeincmch View Post
                        I too have been a USAA member since 2002. They have been excellent over the years and I wish that I didn't have to include them in the BK but as the saying goes "it is what it is." I plan to file on May 1st (June 1st if possible).

I closed the credit account that I had with them and I defunded a passbook savings account as well. I also moved my checking to a local credit union and left the balance in my USAA checking account at $5.

I still have my auto & renters insurance with them and I hope that I can keep it. I have not been able to find better rates with anyone else, including Geico, Progressive, AllState, etc. So hopefully when I do file BK I can keep my USAA membership along with the auto insurance.
                        Our term life insurance and auto have remained intact. I hope you have the same experience!

Comment

I filed in June of '09 and USAA cancelled my auto insurance when the renewal came due. At the time USAA did not do business with anyone who BK'D the--at least that's what the letter said.
                          Since then they have changed their policy. I checked rates and they were outrageous so I stuck with Geico. The funny thing is when I checked rates I gave them my wifes info (we were newly married) and a few weeks later my wife was sent a USAA CC application. She applied and listed me as a authorized user so now I have a 25K credit card from USAA getting lots of rewards. My wife also opened a checking account which USAA will not allow me on as a joint owner and we opened an account for my daughter.

Logan

Comment

Originally posted by considering7 View Post
                            I have the following with USAA Checking, Savings, Homeowner's Insurance, Auto Insurance and Term Life Insurance.
                            I had a Credit Card with USAA that was paid off before I filed. Having seen these threads about USAA cutting off online banking when you have a BK filing, I called them and asked them to close my Credit Card account. This was a few weeks before I filed. If I remember right, I think we listed USAA Credit Card anyway, for informational purposes, since they would be a creditor that we paid more than $600 to in the last 90 days.

Since we have no debt with USAA that we would be getting discharged, I'm hoping USAA will leave everything as-is and not lock us out of the online banking.

I'll let you know in a few months when we finally get discharged.
                            UPDATE: We are 50 days post 341 meeting. USAA hasn't canceled any of my insurance policies and I still have my Checking and Savings. In fact, I've opened up two more savings accounts since I filed. Online access to USAA.com hasn't changed either. I guess since we didn't actually have any debt included in the backruptcy that was USAA debt, USAA left everything alone.

Comment

I just swapped vehicles and got a quote to swap another and my premiums are going WAY down. I know in NJ that they allow use of credit scores for auto premiums but it's not affecting me yet. My renewal is in September so I'll see then if I really have any issues.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X