Landlord questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord questions

I am about to file chapter 7, and have a couple of questions about my landlord. I am a co-tenant of an apartment, on a lease with my adult son. The lease does have language in there about the landlord's option to terminate the lease if you file bankruptcy. So, questions: (1) do I have to list the landlord as a creditor (we are current on rent, and owe no money of any kind); (2) can they really terminate the lease, although my son has good credit and isn't filing; (3) would the landlord be notified if I list the lease but don't include the landlord on the matrix?

the way i understood it when my attorney listed my lease on my apartment was that because it was a contract of someone i owed money too during the time of my bankruptcy it had to be listed. it was quite obvious it was something i owed as i also had to list it as one of my monthly expenses.

Comment

1. Yes
      2. Yes
      3. Yes

However, if you will communicate with your landlord, let him/her know what's going on, and continue to pay your rent on time and be a good tenant, you will have no problems.....
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

My landlord was notified of my filing, even though I did not list him on my creditor matrix.

I thought because I was current with rent and not listing him as a creditor, this would not occur - I was wrong! Better to advise your landlord of the situation in advance so they are not surprised when they receive notice of your BK.
        Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
        New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by chicagoannie View Post
          My landlord was notified of my filing, even though I did not list him on my creditor matrix.

I thought because I was current with rent and not listing him as a creditor, this would not occur - I was wrong! Better to advise your landlord of the situation in advance so they are not surprised when they receive notice of your BK.
          I'm just curious how they found out if you did not list them? Perhaps because they pull your credit regularly or do you think maybe by word of mouth or such?

I know many years ago when I filed I did not list my Landlord as a creditor. They never found out. Of course my rent was current at the time.
          Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by debtprison View Post
            I'm just curious how they found out if you did not list them? Perhaps because they pull your credit regularly or do you think maybe by word of mouth or such?

I know many years ago when I filed I did not list my Landlord as a creditor. They never found out. Of course my rent was current at the time.
            I had to list my lease on one of the schedules and my security deposit as an asset. So even tho LL was not a creditor, he was informed if the filing.
            Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
            New Job 7-2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X