Question About 1099

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About 1099

ok we filed bankruptcy and were discharged in january we filed our taxes as usual. After filing we received a 1099c from a creditor. It was a check advance place it was for 630.00 what do we do with this and can we just file an amended return?

File an amended return. You should also look up IRS Form 982 so that you can claim this 1099-C (Forgiveness of Debt) as discharged in bankruptcy. This should not create any new tax liability (when you amend and file the 1099-C using the Form 982).

Always check with your tax preparer or adviser. I have never used Form 982 (for insolvency/bankruptcy), so I only know this from preparations I made in anticipation of receiving one or more.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

What year was the 1099 issued for? It could go with 2014 tax filing.
      11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Yes, please look at which year is embossed on the 1099-C. It may be a 2014 1099-C. (Thank spidge!)
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It says 2013 just dont want to mess anything up

Comment

The important date is the date of identifiable event in box 1.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

there is nothing in that box I have contacted them and they refuse to re issue it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X