Schedule I and J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule I and J

I have a question about two questions. Specifically, question 13 on Schedule I: Your Income and question 24 on Schedule J: Your Expenses.

Schedule I Income, question 13:
    Do you expect an increase or decrease within the year after you file this form?

I checked the Yes box and answered: I hope to find employment and also pursue work as a restaurant consultant to supplement my income.

Schedule J Expenses, question 24:
    Do you expect in increase or decrease in your expenses within the year after you file this form?

I checked the Yes box and answered: If I find employment and after I save some money, I plan to rent an apartment. This would result in an increase in my expenses.

My question is should I be answering about what I hope will happen (find employment and rent an apartment) or stick to stuff that I know will happen. I mean, I will be looking for job (currently unemployed) and I expect to find a job, but I don't know for sure. I'm I overthinking this?

Thanks from a first time poster.

I'd just stick to the facts that are true today.
    At the 341 meeting, you'll be asked if anything has changed since you filed. At htat point, disclose the new job or whatever and the trustee may request that you amend your filing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, keepmine.

So you are saying I should check the No boxes for both questions and deal with any real and actual changes at the 341 meeting?

I think these questions are terrible. They are asking me what I expect (to imagine) to happen in the future. Yes, I expect to find a job, but there is no guarantee that I will find one. I just don't want the trustee to make any decision based on what might will happen.

Comment

You are overthinking this. The purpose of those forward-looking questions is to deal with the situation of a person who knows that they have lost/will lose their job, will be starting a new job immediately, will be separating/divorcing, has a new baby on the way, etc. The questions are not intended to be a measure of optimism, which is how you are looking at them. The idea is that if someone knows that they are going to lose income or have more expenses in the immediate future, then that can be used to overcome certain objections or presumptions (such as inability to pass the means test based on the previous 6 months of income and expenses).

Comment

Thanks, bcohen.

I feel a lot better now. What you wrote makes sense to me. I will answer No for both questions. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
            You are overthinking this... The questions are not intended to be a measure of optimism...
            Bingo! It's forward-looking "relatively" known. Not the unknown or what you "aspire" to do.

As one judge put it, a Chapter 13 Plan is nothing but a debtor's aspirations and not quite reality. So, keep it real.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X