Discharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged

I got on pacer today, 60 days was yesterday, today showed that my case is discharged waiting closing!! Filed Pro Se without any problems. Glad this is over and can move on with my life.

Once my bk case is closed my mom wants to put me on her bank account just in case something were to happen to her. does anyone see a problem with this regarding my bk. I told her to wait until this is finished. I have not used credit in over five years and only debt I have now is my student loans which are manageable. So I do not plan on ever getting in this situation again. No mortgage, house is paid for.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM. Reason: To correct typo in title

Congratulations on your fresh start!

I don't see any problem with your mom adding you to her account now.
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

Congratulations on your discharge!

As far as your BK is concerned, there is no problem with her putting your name on her account. Her doing that after your filing date does not make the account an asset of the BK estate.

But, the account will be legally as much yours as it is hers. You never know what may happen. You could get sick or have an accident and end up with huge medical bills. You could have an auto accident and get sued for damages and injury you cause to somebody else. If anyone gets a judgment against you, they can go after the joint account. There are other options.

If your mother wants you to be able to access her account, she should talk to her bank about adding you as an authorized signor without making you a joint account holder.

She can also execute a power of attorney to give you ability to handle all of her financial affairs if she is unable to do so, without making her assets vulnerable to your creditors. A power of attorney can be effective immediately so that you don't have to prove she is unable to handle her affairs, or it can be a "springing power" that becomes effective only upon her incapacity which usually needs to be verified by a doctor.

Another option is for your mother to create a revocable trust to hold all of her assets. She can appoint you to be a co-trustee now or to be a successor trustee who would replace her as trustee when she becomes incapacitated or upon her death. There are do-it-yourself sources for estate planning that will include help on powers of attorney and trusts. Nolo is one good source. Your mother could also consult with an estate planning attorney, and definitely should if she has significant assets.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! We have a Discharge Party!! Well done. Here is a little something for you:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X