Going to meet with Atty Friday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to meet with Atty Friday!

Well, I have setup my appointment to meet with the atty I am going to use for this Friday.

I figured I need to get the ball going tired of deleting 15 to 20 calls each day. I have to pay $393.00 up front then write them 5 post dated checks for $300.00 each to finish their atty fees. Hopefully all will go well and I can get back on track within the next 6 months!

Have you met with this attorney before? If not, leave your checkbook at home. You need to find the right attorney for you and not feel pressured to hire the first one you consult with. Make appointments for consultations with two other attorneys and meet with all three before you decide who to hire.

Also, I would not write any post-dated checks to pay your attorney fees, unless you have a reason you have to file now and the attorney is willing to file your petition before cashing the checks. Otherwise, save the money and pay the attorney when you have the entire fee.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yeah, what LITR said, ditto, ditto, ditto....

Comment

My attorney provided a free consultation and much smaller payments. I agree with Lady In Red.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
          Have you met with this attorney before? If not, leave your checkbook at home. You need to find the right attorney for you and not feel pressured to hire the first one you consult with. Make appointments for consultations with two other attorneys and meet with all three before you decide who to hire.

Also, I would not write any post-dated checks to pay your attorney fees, unless you have a reason you have to file now and the attorney is willing to file your petition before cashing the checks. Otherwise, save the money and pay the attorney when you have the entire fee.

Lady I have met with 1 atty in person, and spoken over the phone and via emails with a couple of others, most want to meet in Athens,GA which would require me to take off work, one I spoke with was a lot less but his he seem to have an attitude, I think he did not like it that I knew a good bit about BK, much of which I learned from here. Another was alittle cheaper but wants more cash down payment.

The reason I am going ahead a filing is One Main Financial told me the other day they were gonna sue. I cannot afford to have my paycheck garnished, and only have $500.00 saved up right now! Thanks for all the replies and help!

Comment

Don't feel rushed because a creditor tells you they are going to sue. They may simply be trying to scare you into making a payment. Don't let collectors scare you into moving too fast. Even if they do sue, you sill still have some time to file BK before they can get a judgment and garnish your pay check. Is this attorney willing to file your petition before the post-dated checks are cashed? I still say leave your check book at home.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              Don't feel rushed because a creditor tells you they are going to sue. They may simply be trying to scare you into making a payment. Don't let collectors scare you into moving too fast. Even if they do sue, you sill still have some time to file BK before they can get a judgment and garnish your pay check. Is this attorney willing to file your petition before the post-dated checks are cashed? I still say leave your check book at home.
              I was hoping to go several months and save, but this creditor has me scared that I will check my bank account and it will be frozen with the money I need to pay bills and feed my son with. This attorney and the rude one I spoke with both said they would file the petition before cashing the other checks. But I will see what all this atty says tomorrow after he looks over my information and I may hold off..

He might tell me to wait until I get the letter telling me I am going to be sued before filing. that would be good. Thanks again LITR

Comment

Originally posted by mbjr73 View Post
                I was hoping to go several months and save, but this creditor has me scared that I will check my bank account and it will be frozen with the money I need to pay bills and feed my son with.
                The only way they can freeze your bank account without first getting a judgment against you is if you have money on deposit in their institution and the loan agreement has a cross-collateralization clause. If that is the case, open an account at a different bank. Otherwise, don't let them scare you with their threats. They can't just swoop in a freeze your account without first getting a judgment against you. Even a letter threatening to sue you is not something that should make you rush to file BK. Bill collectors make threats all the time. It is their job to try to scare you into paying. Threats don't mean a thing. Until you are actually served with a lawsuit , you should not rush to file BK before you are ready. Even after you are served, you will have some time before they get a judgment.

Comment

I decided to go ahead and hire the atty's and they just filed my case today!

Fingers crossed all goes good.

Thanks for yalls help I will keep you updated.

Comment

Finished my 2nd counseling course this morning via the internet. Now just waiting for a date on the 341 meeting!

Chapter 7 - No asset - re-affirming the vehicle not the mortgage - keeping both.

Comment

Wow, you must have gotten all of your required documents together lightning fast!
                      Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

I pretty much had it all here on the computer, my taxes and I keep most of my check stubs, I was missing a few from the past six months, so I had payroll lady print me out a sheet with that info. I had my income / expense sheet already done as well as the county assessment on property taxes and the recent appraisal I had done in april.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X