Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timeline question

I filed ch7 6/4, had meeting 7/10, discharge posted to pacer 9/16

Am I done, or is there something else that needs to happen?

I seem to remember the trustee telling me if I hit the lotto or got an inheritance in 180 days after filing that I needed to let him know, so I guess that is still pending for a few more months, but am I waiting for a notice of closure of the case or something? If so when does that generally happen?

Can I feel free at this point to do some real estate transactions or credit transactions?

Thanks for the help.
    Filed ch7 6/7/14 Discharged 9/16/14 Case closed 10/1/14

Hitting the lotto is irrelevant and immaterial. The only thing the "bankruptcy estate" includes is any inheritance or property received as a property settlement in a divorce within 180 days. That's it. Lottery is not included. So, win the lottery, please, and enjoy your winnings!

Are you an asset case? Is your case closed?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

no asset, where do I look to see if it is closed?

Comment

It would be in PACER. Right after you search for your case and the screen with all the links appears, just look at the top. You should see "debtor discharged" and then a "date terminated". If it reads "date dismissed" you have an issue of dismissal and not a closing.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Mine says;

Case type: bk Chapter: 7 Asset: No Vol: v Judge: .........................
          Date filed: 06/04/2014 Date of last filing: 09/16/2014
          Debtor discharged: 09/16/2014

Comment

I just found this;

Pending Statuses

Status Begin Date Time in Status # Status Set By
            Awaiting Closing 09/16/2014 3 days 10 Discharge of Debtor

Comment

Do you have any flags on the Case Summary screen?

Note: in some jurisdictions, the close is not automatic and may be delayed a few days unless there is a flag preventing the case to close.

Comment

It says this in the summary screen;

Pending status: Awaiting Closing
                Flags: DISCHARGED

Comment

Looks like nothing would prevent it from closing. You just need to wait until the Court closes the case. You could call the Case Manager and ask if there is anything preventing it from closing. With any luck, the clerk might close the case with you on the phone. (It has been known to happen!)
                  Last edited by justbroke; 09-19-2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I can wait, it just discharged 3 days ago. If weeks go by I will send an email to my atty and see if he can nudge it along.

Comment

Your attorney will probably indicate that the closing takes several days to weeks. It is very normal for the closing to take a week or two.

Comment

I thought it couldn't be closed until the 180 days were up

Comment

Originally posted by flaguy View Post
                          I thought it couldn't be closed until the 180 days were up
                          Many Chapter 7 cases acutally "auto-close" if they are no-asset cases and the case is in a Jurisdiction (District) that allows the system (CM/ECF aka PACER) to close such a case. In some Jurisdictions they like to do this manually. In other cases, if there are FLAGS on the case, then the case will not auto-dismiss regardless of the settings in CM/ECF.

There is nothing in the law that says that a case must be open for 180 days. Theoretically a quick case could be discharged and closed in 90 days. The 180 days you may be thinking about is a special exception for assets acquired within 180 days of filing. The case would be re-opened to administer those late-found assets if the case were closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X