what do I do / what happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do I do / what happens next?

I am currently in a ch13 but due to the loss of my job, my attn. suggested I file and convert to a ch7.

Right now i'm barely surviving without a job but its been 30 days and I'm still here. My lawyer suggested that we wait at least 30 days after losing my job to file and it's been over 30days at this point.I paid my lawyer the fees but have no clue on what happens next.

What is a realistic time frame should I inquire with my lawyer regarding if he has filed.

Assuming he has filed, will the courts send me some type of notice of filing and or court dates?

Getting info from lawyer is like picking teeth. He does not communicate well but in all fairness he handled my ch13 like a pro. So what shall I do next? sur

I am pretty sure you have to sign the conversion paperwork before it is filed. The only person who can tell you when the paperwork will be ready is your attorney. Call and ask.

After the paperwork is filed, you will get a notice in the mail with a 341 date.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

My lawyer sucks at communicating!

I hate my lawyer. He is a horrible communicator. I can write him a book but he only responds in short 1 sentence responses. GRRRRR but in person he is very talktative. Ok my issue is that I signed the motion to convert on Monday but have not heard from him or anyone else. I send him an email asking about a status in general but his response was I would be getting something in the mail. Is there a way I can check to see when the case was filed? I have pacer but no clue which tab, search of anything I need to check to see what (IF ANY) has been filed recently. HELP!!!!

Comment

You need to find the docket report to see if anything has been filed. For instructions, go to http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...Guide-amp-Tips
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

No it has not. Not according to what I can see. I mean I can see the last entry which was an entry of him initially withdrawing as my attorney because I completed my first year of bankruptcy. I have not see anything else as of last week regarding the motion paperwork I signed. It my understanding that all he has to do is file a 1pg motion to convert. I don't know if this needs to be filed or where it needs to be filed. His only response to my gently asked questions is I'll get something in the mail. Well I'd like to know when he has filed so I can get on the clock as far as time. I cannot work until after I get a 341 mtg or whatever and anxious to know what is being done. I swear I hate my damn attorney for his no communicating ass.

Comment

Look for posts by JustBroke. He is one of our Moderators and converted from a CH13 to a CH7 and did it all himself. He also has a very informative blog.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I read his post. Thanks. Perhaps I'm being a bit impatient. I mean. I signed whatever paperwork I needed to sign on Last Monday. It was a single page document. Hell the lawyer ever even gave me a copy of the document so I really have no clue what it was (bad I know). But in all fairness, the lawyer handled my original ch13 like a champ. NO issues there. Now that I fully understand the ramifications of my actions, I am anxious because I want to be free and clear of debt so I can start the long rebuilding process. Recognizing that I have to go thru the whole ch 7 cycle, I'm anxious to get started and other than the 1pg paper I signed, I haven't seen anything else. I hate the fact my lawyer is a shitty communicator but I can't do nothing about that other than complain on this board. I don't want to be the pesky ass ask 5000 questions type of client either. Someone pls offer me some words of comfort to allow my spirit to rest while I wait to hear from the courts.

Comment

Well, to quote Frogger, another of our Moderators:
                e
                "Bankruptcy is a process, is not an event. 'Patience, Grasshopper'"

In other words, it takes time for the paperwork to wend its way through the court. 'Hub and I were impatient, too. Once we signed something, we expected it to be acted on THE VERY NEXT DAY!!!

You have done the very best you can. You can do no more, except take up a new hobby or something.

Good wishes~~~

ETA: If you have not signed up for a PACER account, please do so. You can see your court document online, and save them to your computer. There are several threads about PACER and how to set up an account, and also protect yourself from spending too much on it.
                Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-21-2014, 06:50 PM.
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you. I understand about the need to be patient and I'm trying but it's hard when you don't have a realistic window to adjust yourself too. I mean, I have know idea how long this part of the process takes. I was told by my lawyer that i would be hearing fro the courts regarding my next court date. How long will it be fore I get my notice? 30, 60, 90 days? without a frame of reference, I feel like I'm in the dark. I know courts take their time but was just hoping I would hear from other members who perhaps could give me a reasonable frame of mind regarding the time.

I do recognize that it is a marathon and I'm prepared for the long process but i'd still like to get some type of clue. While this board has been invaluable for timely information, there are some things I wish posters would be a bit more specific but nonetheless i'm still grateful for all the wonderful advice.

I do have a pacer account and based on other post, make sure I don't check it everyday.

for some reason, I was under the impression (created by my lawyer) that all i would need to file is a motion to convert, within 30 days get a new creditors meeting and if there are no additional problem, get a discharge within 90 days after that. At this point, I don't even know what was filed (if any). What I do know is that I paid my lawyer, signed a 1 pg document and clueless as to what happens next.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                  Well, to quote Frogger, another of our Moderators:
                  e
                  "Bankruptcy is a process, is not an event. 'Patience, Grasshopper'"

In other words, it takes time for the paperwork to wend its way through the court. 'Hub and I were impatient, too. Once we signed something, we expected it to be acted on THE VERY NEXT DAY!!!

You have done the very best you can. You can do no more, except take up a new hobby or something.

Good wishes~~~

ETA: If you have not signed up for a PACER account, please do so. You can see your court document online, and save them to your computer. There are several threads about PACER and how to set up an account, and also protect yourself from spending too much on it.

Comment

The reason nobody can be more specific is because we don`t know when your attorney will file the conversion document. It should show up on Pacer as soon as it is filed. If you signed over a week ago and it hasn't been filed, I would call the attorney and ask when it will be filed. Once it is filed, the only people who can tell you how long it will take to get a notice from the court are people with experience in the same court. I don't remember seeing any other members from Alaska. But, I don`t think it should be long after the paperwork is filed.

Comment

Update: Well I checked pacer and I see that my attorney filed today...grrrrr.. we discuss this over the past few months and I was under the impression he would file at the beginning of the month and not the middle..grrrrrrr ! Im relieved now that the ball has gotten started.

I am not from Alaska.

Thanks LITR for all your valuable input. Thanks for everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions. After I get past the creditors meeting, I intend to research on how to improve my credit, get a secured credit card to help me improve my credit while waiting out the dreaded 7yrs...lol

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                      The reason nobody can be more specific is because we don`t know when your attorney will file the conversion document. It should show up on Pacer as soon as it is filed. If you signed over a week ago and it hasn't been filed, I would call the attorney and ask when it will be filed. Once it is filed, the only people who can tell you how long it will take to get a notice from the court are people with experience in the same court. I don't remember seeing any other members from Alaska. But, I don`t think it should be long after the paperwork is filed.

Comment

Originally posted by charande2014 View Post
                        I am not from Alaska.
                        Your profile says you are from Alaska and that shows up in all of your posts. To avoid confusion, I suggest you correct it. If you do not want to include your correct state, you an choose to leave it blank by selecting the blank option at the top of the list.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X