Chapter 7 Discharged in 2012...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 Discharged in 2012...

When can I file again? I'm in major trouble in need relief!

19k in car loan - already repo'd
    3400 state taxes - will be off set
    4800 state off set
    Other debts totaling about 12k

My refund will take care of the state obligation, but the car finance company is gonna file judgement soon. I'm afraid my check will be garnished.

What are my options? I feel helpless.

You have to wait 8 years from filing to file another Chapter 7.

You have to wait 4 years from filing to file Chapter 13.

Your first option is to first learn what caused you to get into trouble again. Then to stop doing that.

Source:

There is no limit to how many times you can file bankruptcy, but your debts can only be discharged within certain time limits.

Comment

Youre right. Thank you.

Comment

Since you cannot file for bankruptcy again for a long time, your only option is to collections-proof yourself as best you can. If you have any money in a bank account, over your state's judgment exemption amount, now is the time to take out those funds--in cash, and store them in your home. If you have a job, which was disclosed on any application for credit, now is the time to refresh your resume and start looking again. If a consumer creditor does obtain a judgment and begins garnishing your wages, leaving and going to a different employer would likely stop it, for many months if not permanently, because they would have a very hard time locating your new job. Of course, this will not work for any government creditors such as tax enforcement, child support, or collection of court-ordered fines/restitution, as these kind of creditors will find your new job in a matter of weeks.

Comment

Thanks, Bcohen.
          I spoke to you attorney yesterday. He said I can file chapter 13 (????). I'm confused because the article above says I cant. Anyways, I've decided to work every hard to pay off my debts. The 19k will take some time, but maybe the car finance company would be willing to work with me.

Comment

Hi, agree with the post above regarding your issues go much deeper than what you owe. Since you have put yourself in a position to be looking to file bankruptcy again in just a couple of years after the 1st one it is obvious that you need to step back and take a good long look at your financial attitude and lifestyle. Do yourself a favor and read everything you can on this forum regarding filing bankruptcy (any kind) and absorb it as it is clear that you did not do much research or learn anything from your prior filing (especially by asking the question you asked, most filers are aware of timeframes for filing).

Learn to live below your means and on cash, that may be the first lesson on your journey.....Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by msw View Post
              Thanks, Bcohen.
              I spoke to you attorney yesterday. He said I can file chapter 13 (????). I'm confused because the article above says I cant. Anyways, I've decided to work every hard to pay off my debts. The 19k will take some time, but maybe the car finance company would be willing to work with me.
              You can file a Chap 13 anytime after a prior BK, but you won't get a discharge. It will keep the creditors off your back while you pay off your debt based on what you can afford to pay. What isn't paid off in the plan remains after the case is closed. It could be a good thing for you because you will be forced to learn to live without credit and within your means.
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X