Sharing some information on trying to buy a car before Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing some information on trying to buy a car before Discharge

If this is not the correct place to share this info please move. I just thought others may benefit from it.

You can see my Situation in my other posts. I am currently 14 days after my 341 meeting. I started looking Monday of this week to see where my options were. I started with the Barrage of mailings I received and picked out several of the larger dealerships that were close. One was a American made Auto dealership the other a Foreign car dealership. I talked to both over the phone, The American made car dealership seemed like pretty bottom of the barrel choices. Very high mileage, small selection. I decided to try the Foreign car dealership.

I get in, Guy was typical salesman / finance manager. He start off by asking why I was in Br asked what car I was getting rid of . He then breaks it out for me.

American made cars (Banks will only provide short term loans towards) 3 years max- Interesting since it was a foreign car dealership (The Big T)
    Toyota or Hondas the bank will go out to 66mo if it is 3 years or less old and under a certain amount of miles.
    Interesting enough he would not talk interest rates. Only payments--
    My main requirement is I needed something to carry at least 6 people.
    I test drove a few minivans, 1 small SUV that was American made

So this was the best offer he came up with 22k for Toyota Sienna 2013 55k miles with GAP insurance 1 year 12k mile warranty Monthly payment $560.00 66mo. That ended up being 16.99% $500.00 down

He explained That the Lender would call me up for an Interview and ask me a series of questions, Then they would validate all my work info etc.
    The whole process could take up to 5 weeks for the final approval! But of course I could take the car that day. If I agreed to pay the .50 per mile and any ware and tare plus damages if the loan was declined for any reason.

It took over 3 hours to get to this point. The Last and final glitch was he looked up and asked about the other car I have and if I was turning it in.

I said no- that car is what my daughter uses to get to school. I am caught up and keeping it. He then states well I am sorry I didn't catch this but
    the bank wont lend to you if you have another car loan! I said seriously? He said no problem we just need a cosigner. I said absolutely not would I even consider that.

I said well I found out all I needed, so thank you for your time. He said what about your Wife. (She dosent work, and was not part of my BR, no income.) I explained this and he said no problem she will get the loan through. I said absolutely not. If something would happen to me then she would be responsible for the loan- A sub-prime loan with a high payment and no income. Who would do that to another person? I said thank you for your time and left.

Honestly if it is not to late, I think I will just catch up the payments on my existing car loan and keep it. I am upside down, But it has a warranty an affordable payment and it is reliable. 5% interest rate

I have a meeting with my attorney Tuesday to talk about my other reaffirmation agreements. (On the house and other Car), I will see if he has any other thoughts, I told him last week I was pretty sure I wasent going to keep this car. Now seeing options, I may need to rethink this. If I can?

Last comment I was slightly considering this before the whole cosigner thing came up, but glad I didnt. Also- For the American car I looked at they wanted 2k down 700.00 per mo for 3 years.

Either of those payments would not really be close to the fresh start I want.

Originally posted by sleepless2 View Post
    American made cars (Banks will only provide short term loans towards) 3 years max- Interesting since it was a foreign car dealership (The Big T)
    Toyota or Hondas the bank will go out to 66mo if it is 3 years or less old and under a certain amount of miles.
    That's because Toyotas and Hondas hold their value over time better than American cars.

Interesting enough he would not talk interest rates. Only payments--
    That's a common technique of salesmen when you are getting dealer financing. They want you focused on the monthly payment instead of the total amount you will spend to pay off the car.

So this was the best offer he came up with 22k for Toyota Sienna 2013 55k miles with GAP insurance 1 year 12k mile warranty Monthly payment $560.00 66mo. That ended up being 16.99% $500.00 down
    So, you would pay $36,000 to buy a $22K car, assuming it really is worth $22K.

Honestly if it is not to late, I think I will just catch up the payments on my existing car loan and keep it. I am upside down, But it has a warranty an affordable payment and it is reliable. 5% interest rate
    Sounds like a good solution. Ask your attorney about a redemption where you get a loan to pay off the car at its current value. The interest rate on a redemption loan my be higher, but that might be okay if it reduces the loan principal enough.

I have a meeting with my attorney Tuesday to talk about my other reaffirmation agreements. (On the house and other Car), I will see if he has any other thoughts, I told him last week I was pretty sure I wasent going to keep this car. Now seeing options, I may need to rethink this. If I can?
    Maybe the lender will agree as part of the reaffirmation agreement to allow you to catch up your payments over time.

Why are you reaffirming your mortgage? Please read Des' thread about why that is a bad idea: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...-very-bad-idea
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

reaffirming Meeting.

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post

Why are you reaffirming your mortgage? Please read Des' thread about why that is a bad idea: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...-very-bad-idea
      Hi thank you for your comments. My Attorney called me today to tell me he got reaffirmation letters for my mortgage and the other car loan. He asked me to come in so he could explain all my options. I don't plan on reaffirming anything unless I have to. I do have a question I would like to ask here first- If I don't reaffirm and am caught up on my payments can I still use the grace period I had ? My Mortgage is due on the first but I have till the 15th to make my payment. (before I am charged a late fee) I usually pay on the 6-8th depending on where my payday hits. Thoughts? mortgage is wellsfargo.

Thank you LR!

Comment

Yes, the grace period and all other terms of the original mortgage will remain the same. The only thing that will change if you do not reaffirm is that you will not be on the hook for a deficiency if you default and then walk away.
        Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 03-06-2015, 02:40 PM.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Cars these days are built much better than they were in the 20th century. You don't need a 2-year old car. (Especially a 2-year old car with that many miles).

You just filed bankruptcy. That means you can't afford to pay your debts. So you plan to get into to $560/month payments for 5.5 years even before your bankruptcy is finished? That just doesn't make sense. After I filed bankruptcy, I bought two cars for a total of $9000. Yet you think buying a single for for $37k (including interest) is a good idea? Even if my cars have serious repairs, it's not going to be anywhere near the $28k difference in price. In fact, if one of these cars completely dies on me sometime in the next 66 months, I can buy a 6-year old car for $9.5k and still end up paying half of what you pay for a single car.

I can understand people who want nice cars. What I don't understand is why people who've been in such dire financial straits that they have to kill their credit, and then decide to buy $35k worth of cars before the ink is even dry on their discharge paperwork. (In this case, not only is the ink not dry, it hasn't even been purchased yet because it'll be nearly 2 months before you even get a discharge.)

Comment

As several other posters have already alluded to, a car payment of $560 per month is beyond absurd, especially for a USED van that wasn't even super high-end when it was new. If you can save up $2k to $3k, which is less than 6 months of these payments, you should be able to buy a decent, functional used car outright. Heck, I occasionally see people sell decent, running cars for around $1000, though most of those are stick shift, which I don't drive.

You said you need something which will haul 6 people comfortably. I constantly see people selling used vans from the early 2000's for less than $4000 with low miles and no body damage. Maybe that would be a better choice than taking on an untenable debt burden?

Comment

Well I was trying to provide some information - on exactly what was available

Well I was trying to provide some information - on exactly what was available before Discharge- I really didn't see allot similar posts. I would have never considered that deal? I just wanted to know what the options were. I hears some people talk about a Fico score based on Auto payments in the past. I thought since I had never missed a payment I may have a better chance at decent interest rate. It seems Like some people on this Board are quick to judge?

Comment

Sorry if I seemed to be judgmental. I was just trying to be helpful because it seems that buying an expensive car is a bad idea in your situation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X