Chapter 7: Tax Refund Timing/Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7: Tax Refund Timing/Documentation

I am filing for Chapter 7 within the next two weeks. I am filing pro-se and have just about everything together or figured out with one exception:

I received a tax refund of about $4000 in February. I have used it to stock up on boring things like paper towel, food, wood pellets for the stove, propane, the filing fee for bankruptcy, some clothing, car repair and similar. I feel confident that what I used it for is not going to cause a problem (no jet-skis, no payments to anyone, etc) and I have what I did obtain listed on Schedule B. My question is: where and how do I indicate that I received this? I get how it works if I was awaiting a refund, but I can't seem to figure this one out and don't want to get in trouble.

There is no place to list a refund that you received and spent. It is no longer an asset. The trustee may ask how you spent it at your 341. But, the fact that you received a refund probably needs to be taken into account when determining your disposible income. I am not sure whether that happens on the means test or Schedule I. Do you have an attorney who can determine how to handle that?
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I do not have an attorney but I think your answer is it! I looked at Schedule I again and since it's gross income, it accounts for that. I believe I was way overthinking that one. Thank you! It's so nice to have a place to ask and process this stuff. Taking this on has been strangely empowering - a lot of work, but well worth it. I hope I feel the same way after my 341 meeting!

Comment

Originally posted by kberly View Post
        I do not have an attorney but I think your answer is it! I looked at Schedule I again and since it's gross income, it accounts for that.
        Make sure your income tax liability is accurate. It is not necessarily the same as your withholding.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yep, I have one job and no other income so that should cover it. Thank you, thank you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X