What to wear to 341 meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to wear to 341 meeting

What do you wear? We don't want to wear anything too nice, that makes us look like we have money. (Would be the only nice clothes we have at this point.)
    Filed: Dec 31, 2008
    341: Feb 5, 2009
    Discharge: Apr 7, 2009 (61 days even)

You can wear whatever you would wear shopping for food at a supermarket.

Comment

I suggest business casual. NO JEANS or cutoffs. Nice but not dressy, conservative on the jewelry. 'Hub

P.S. NO perfume.
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi elstx: The general rule of thumb is to wear nice 'business casual dress', something like you would wear if you were going to a nice restaurant. When 'Hub and I went to our 341, I wore a nice blouse and black slacks. 'Hub had dress pants, a nice shirt and sports jacket, although I believe a polo shirt would have been fine.

We wore no jewelry at all, and carried nothing with us except a folder with our paperwork in it and our wallets.

I have read on this forum of our posters reporting seeing people going to their 341 flashing big expensive jewelry and carrying / wearing designer bags or clothing.

(Frankly, I wouldn't recognize designer stuff if it fell on me)

That basically sums up what we did. Just leave home plenty EARLY so you don't have to worry about traffic and parking and all that stuff.

Good luck!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I went topless and sailed through mine!!!

Just kidding!

I wore slacks, a nice shirt, and a blazery type jacket. It was cold that day. No purse, no jewelry ( not that I have any). There were some people looking pretty rough and some who had Louis Vuitton bags, ( which I thought was pretty stupid). Some were in jeans. I think if you look like you care and are respectful of the court without looking dressy or well to do, you should be fine.

Dress like you were going to meet your inlaws for the first time for lunch and you should be right on.

Comment

No jeans? Are you serious? I think slacks would be to much wouldn't it? My slacks are not causal IMO. DH can go kahki's. But not sure what i will wear.
            FILED CH7: 03/20/09
            341: May 11th, 2009
            DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by momof3b1g View Post
              No jeans? Are you serious? I think slacks would be to much wouldn't it? My slacks are not causal IMO. DH can go kahki's. But not sure what i will wear.
              You want to look like you are respectful of the Court. You will be in a Federal Court building and in any Court room there, there is a dress code. These lawyers are used to professional and respectful people. Anything that draw attention, (including topless) may be a negative rememberance. You wish to leave as a routine case and just slide on through. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Our BK court district actually gives out a 'Dress Code'. In one of our documents is the following:

"Appropriate attire: You are reminded that Local Rule 5072-1(b)(16) requires that persons should dress in appropriate business attire consistent with their finacial abilities. Among other things, a coat and tie are appropriate for a man; a dress or pants suit is appropriate for a woman."
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Many people are either coming from work to attend the hearing or going to work after the hearing. I dressed business casual (skirt, short sleeve summer sweater for a June hearing and small heels). Most of the people in there were dressed business casual. There was one gentleman in his shop work uniform but other than that most people were dressed respectfully. The Trustee and your attorney are not there in ripped jeans or a tank top. Dress appropriately for a court room setting.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

This sounds like a thread I made last week

I already have my khaki pants and polo on a hanger in the closet, ironed.

Im not going to wear my watch that Ive had for 5-6 years, no cologne, and Im going to wear my brown casual shoes.
                    Retained bk7 laywer 8-12-08, Filed 12-22, 341 Meeting Scheduled 1-29-09
                    Discharged 4-17-09!!!
                    Reason for filing: Medical, NOT irresponsibility with credit.
                    "Sometimes you have to fall before you fly"

Comment

Kakis with a nice polo shirt and dress shoes. Nothing else or more.
                      9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
                      11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
                      01/04/2010 - last day for objections
                      01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post

Just kidding!

I wore slacks, a nice shirt, and a blazery type jacket. It was cold that day. No purse, no jewelry ( not that I have any). There were some people looking pretty rough and some who had Louis Vuitton bags, ( which I thought was pretty stupid). Some were in jeans. I think if you look like you care and are respectful of the court without looking dressy or well to do, you should be fine.

Dress like you were going to meet your inlaws for the first time for lunch and you should be right on.
                        LMAO DINGDONG - No wonder you said the trustee was flirting with you... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post

Just kidding!.
                          LOL!! If this were me, the Trustee would add on a few extra payments!
                          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

If we are coming from work or going to work after. DH can wear his uniform and I my jeans. The men its very easy for them to wear kahki and polo. But if i wear my only dressy clothes we would look stupid. Your in the meeting for 5 minutes. I will have to look up our dress code here. I thought you had to look like you had no money. Not sloppy but not dressy either. Like nice jeans and a sweater? Its going to be winter here when we go to our meeting. I need something snow friendly for shoes.
                            FILED CH7: 03/20/09
                            341: May 11th, 2009
                            DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

This is a big problem for me. I used to have a closet full of very nice clothes (all from Marshall's, Nordstrom Rack, etc.) What I have left of that closet are 10 years old, outdated and I've outgrown them. I no longer have a need for silk suits as I work in a helicopter (photographer) all day every day. I wear clothes practical for my job, no matter how hot it's long sleeves, jeans and hiking boots in case of a rough landing and needing to climb through rough terrain. Not very feminine. I work with men and for them dressing up means wearing the good pair of jeans and a sweater. I have one skirt in my closet that fits and a blouse but no shoes to go with it. With my recent car dilemma, I can't even go buy a new pair of cheap dress shoes. I have a friend who has the same foot size that I can borrow heels from but she wear HEELS that would kill me before I even walk up the steps of the entrance.

I could always carry them in my hand like the college days walk of shame right?

Or maybe go topless like dingdong. I like that idea a lot. No one would notice my shoes....
                              12/05/08 - filed pro se
                              01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
                              04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
                              6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X