Oh the irony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the irony

As some of you have learned from my recent posts, my debt crisis which led to a Chapter 13 filing was in large part brought on by the failure of a niche business started by my former business partner. My first real clue to the enormity of the debt he ran up in my name was when in 2011(ish) I started getting collection calls from one of the largest financial institution in the country, if not the world; but one which I had no memory of ever applying for either a loan or a credit card. At the time I reasoned maybe one of the two credit cards in my name dating back to the early 1980s which my business partner and I had used for business expenses had been bought out by this financial institution. To this day I do not really know if that is the case. Regardless, it turned out he had possession of at least four cards or lines of credit in my name, three of which were through the aforementioned company. I've asked to see the originating documentation from him; said documentation was never turned over, however, I did ask one of the collection callers for proof the line of credit he was calling about was actually signed by me. The image of the original documentation had all of my information on it, but no signature, so at least I was cleared of that one. I never got proof one way or another regarding the other two, and included them in my Chapter 13 filing in 2015.

Fast forward to 2020 and my life situation has changed considerably. In the years prior to my bankruptcy filing I had made my living as an consulting engineer, typically brought in after a project had gone bad, with the auto industry being the most common place for me to ply my trade. Three years ago I was given the opportunity to hop over into the new and emerging field of Artificial Intelligence (AI), specifically Conversational AI, where I teach systems to converse in natural language with people. In a way, think of the ways in which the crews of the various Star Trek vessels interacted with their computers, or how you interact with your Home Automation systems; it should come as no surprise to anyone, such conversational systems will find their ways into the cars of the future.

Now for the irony; over the last couple of years I have been fortunate enough to not only wrap my brain around a very new way of thinking, but to help the company I went to work for as a full-time employee (my first time as an FTE since 1982) in 2013 to become a leader in the Conversational AI space. This last Friday I received a call exploring my interest in using my Conversational AI skills in the financial industry; specifically with the financial institution which my former business partner ran up so much debt in my name. The current status of my Chapter 13 is now paid, but not yet discharged, and I find myself wondering what, if any, impact my bankruptcy in general, and my (now) former debt to this institution, may play in my being able to get a high paying job there.

I rather doubt any of y'all can offer much advice regarding this situation, regardless, I will keep y'all posted if/when I hear from them again.
    Latent car nut.

A successful Chapter 13 should not be an impediment to obtaining just about any job or security clearance.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      A successful Chapter 13 should not be an impediment to obtaining just about any job or security clearance.
      Thanks, justbroke I'll keep you posted.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

shipo - good luck; if it's the opportunity you would like. I've changed jobs a few times since filing my 13 and it's never effected being hired.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

A quick update, the whole COVID-19 falderal thing took hold here in the U.S. shortly after I started this thread back in March, and I figured that would be the end of the conversation vis-à-vis employment with my former creditor. Well, over the last week I had two very high-level (as in exploratory) conversations with the individual who originally reached out to me; apparently the purse strings are starting to loosen up and recruiting is getting back on track.

Now for the question; given my Chapter 13 has now not only been discharged but closed as well, and assuming talks progress to the point where I'm interviewing with associates of the financial institution in question, do I disclose my former debt to them, or do I keep mum and let them figure it out for themselves?
          Latent car nut.

Comment

That is such a hard question ..I’ve heard of people handling it both ways..telling and not telling. I don’t really know if there’s a right answer to this; I’m sure others will offer their experience. All I can say is good luck..this sounds like an incredible opportunity for you..and I hope it works out. Sorry I couldn’t offer an answer.
            Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
            Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X