Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Week from Monday

My wife and I filed Chapter 13 jointly toward the end of July and our 341 meeting is coming up a week from Monday. After filing I had no second guesses that it was the right thing to do - we made some major financial mistakes and the hole was just getting deeper - we also made the mistake of ignoring the issues. I've been "good" up until a few days ago as far as focusing on other things, enjoying my family, and getting back to a few hobbies that I missed due to worrying about financial concerns every single day - now I've been stalking PACER, reading forums, etc. and it's really not doing me any good. When we filed our attorney who's been practicing for over 20 years told me about the potential trustees and it seems like we have the "middle of the road" one. So I know I need to get out of my own head and let our attorney do his job.

I think I'm nervous about the trustee giving us a hard time - and about a couple of our creditors potentially showing up - particularly regarding a Timeshare that we attempted to get out of the mortgage on due to misrepresentation and lies - that went to arbitration - and we lost. The arbitrator awarded them the amount of the note and the attorney fees.

They filed a petition back in January to confirm the arbitration award which again, we fought the amount. We filed bankruptcy before the hearing to either confirm or dismiss the award could be had and it's now stayed along with the rest of our debt. We listed the debt, of course, with our intention being to surrender the timeshare - and while the debt is listed our attorney didn't put in the amount in our proposed payment because since it's a timeshare with points and doesn't have any real value he doesn't expect them to file a claim. The out lyer is though that we've been to arbitration and was an award even though it wasn't confirmed.

With that amount not in our proposed payment, we would be paying everyone back at 100% in about 52 months with a payment that we can live with. However if they did file a claim - and if everyone else filed claims - and they were all approved - it'd be 60 months with a higher payment that could be a very tight squeeze. I know that the whole thing is a fluid process and my lawyer's job is to try to work something out that both sides can agree to - it's just hard for me not to be nervous - and it keeps creeping in the closer I get to my 341.

Any advice - other than a go see a therapist until the 341 and Claim Deadline is over?

bknewstart19 - I wish I could tell you a magic answer but I can't. I think we all go through the fear of who will file and how it will impact us. Just go back to doing the things that keep you distracted, keep focused and try not to worry. Easier said than done..I know that. Good luck at your 341....i'm wishing you the best. Please let us know what happens.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X