Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical creditors and proof of claim?

Good Morning!

New to the forum, and new to bankruptcy. Long time listener, first time caller would be a good way to describe me. Anyway, my wife and I just filed for Chapter 13 in January 2020, our 341 meeting is in March. We are in a 100% plan. My question for all of you who have been through this process, how many of you had medical creditors, whether its a medical facility or a collection agency on their behalf, not file a proof of claim in their allotted time frame? A majority of our unsecured debt (like well over half) is due to medical bills. Some totals range from $100 to $10K.

bump...

Nobody has any advice?

Comment

Welcome lebt2006 - I'm glad you've taken the first step to getting your finances back in order. I never had any medical expenses in my plan so I can't really answer the question...sometimes there's days when it's slower then normal getting a response, but be patient, hopefully it won't be long before someone who had medical bills will reply.
      Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
      Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I had two medical bills included in my Chapter 13, a hospital bill, and a drs office that went to collections. Total of $3500 - neither one filed a claim.

Comment

If they don't file a claim, then their bill gets discharged and you do not need to pay. It's that simple. I had over $30K in credit card debt (primarily from Citibank) for which they never filed a claim. Discharged.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

justbroke, you had $30K in credit card debt not get claimed? how much did that shorten your plan, month wise?

Comment

lebt2006 it did not shorten my plan because I was not in a 100% plan. I was virtually in a 0% plan due to other factors. In most circumstances, credit card debt that is included i the bankruptcy is typically sold to third parties. The banks just don't like dealing with it any longer and will sell it to companies like BReal, LVNV Funding, Roundup Funding and other so-called "junk" debt buyers (JDBs).
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X