I'm getting out a year early.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting out a year early.

I am almost 4 years in to a 5 year 35% payback chapter 13 plan. Lately I have being feeling the pinch financially because of the economic slowdown caused by the coronavirus. I was tired of struggling, so I called my attorney and ask for options to get out of chapter 13. My attorney said I really had only two options; get it dismissed and take my chances with the creditors, or do a 100% payback which would be over $60,000. So my attorney went to the trustee and explained my situation. So to make a long story short, the trustee is letting me payoff my case early for just a little over $10,000 with money from my 401k. And thanks to the CARES ACT, I won't have to pay the 10% penalty on my 401k withdrawal either. My attorney said I should have my discharge letter within 30 days of receipt and I'll be free from bankruptcy.

Awesome news!
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Welcome to BKForum.
      Wow. That's pretty exciting news.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Wow...that is great!! A very open minded trustee😊
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Great solution! I'm glad that worked out for you. How much will you save compared with paying the next 12 months? Or is it a wash and you're just taking the hit from your 401K?

Comment

It didn't save much on the remaining year of my plan, but it is saving me $2000 per month now that I'm out. My wife didn't file with me, so she had debt outside the plan I was able to pay, too. I'm debt free except for the mortgage and monthly utilities. Also now that I'm out of chapter13, I can start putting money into my retirement again.

Comment

Congratulations ..,what a wonderful feeling to be done. I was in the same situation as you.,,extremely high payment that I was able to pay off a year early..it’s a major sigh of relief. Enjoy your new financial freedom.
              Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
              Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Big congrats, Debtkiller!
                You are so lucky that in spite of the sad Covid-related circumstances, you have a compassionate and sympathetic trustee who is allowing you to get out early with out penalty . Now you can truly begin to live again!
                We still have 18 months to go and our trustee is doubling (maybe tripling ) our payment because my husband was laid off last year and fortunately got a much better paying job immediately. Just as our lawyer attempted to fight the first motion for increase, my husband got an unexpected 5% off market analysis pay increase to bring up his salary to what comparable engineers are earning. That $400 is gone and that's OK, but if he raises our payment by the original $600 he demanded as well, I don't think we can pay $1600 a month. That would be almost three times what we were paying (a little under $600) and he would dismiss our case in the blink of an eye -that's the kind of "reasonable" trustee we have! LOL

Comment

You'll still have to pay taxes on the 401K withdrawal so you will lose 20-30% of it fyi So it's just like you are borrowing at 20-30% interest. Maybe try for lower trustee payments. Borrowing from you future is not a good idea.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X