Hypothetically, How does one deal with late credit card payment calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetically, How does one deal with late credit card payment calls

to the home, before filing bankruptcy? Should they pick it up and fib about making a future payment, or don't answer it at all??

I didn't answer.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Definitely don't tell them that you'll make a future payment if you can't. In fact, don't make any promises to pay especially in this challenging world-wide health emergency. However, if we're talking about during this pandemic, many of the banks may be offering relief of some sort. Normally, however, shipo may be on the money with not answering. The incessant calls are irritating and you want to answer to make them go away, but it will likely only encourage them.

For me, it's a difficult decision. If I did pick up the phone, it would be to (only) say that I'm not in a position to make a payment at this time. I would offer no details, no reasons, and no offer to pay in the future.

But, that's me.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Don't answer the phone. I literally unplugged our home phone. Almost everyone contacts us by cell anyway. And I shut the sound off my cell phone especially when I was at work. AVOIDANCE!!
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

What about answering ONLY to inform the caller to use the USPS mail for future communications? I know I saw rules regarding collection calls in this forum

Comment

Originally posted by tg16 View Post
            What about answering ONLY to inform the caller to use the USPS mail for future communications? I know I saw rules regarding collection calls in this forum
            Yes, you can tell them that you only want to be contacted by mail and that you no longer authorize them to call you at home, work, or by carrier pigeon.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              Yes, you can tell them that you only want to be contacted by mail and that you no longer authorize them to call you at home, work, or by carrier pigeon.
              Would this ONLY be useful when the debt is sold to a collection agency, or also during in-house attempts to collect a month or 2 month past due debt?

Comment

I knew I would receive a boatload of collection calls. So, I went on every CC and creditor site and changed my phone number to my Google voicemail number. All my calls went to Google VM and I received not one call to my cell. I think that really saved what was left of my sanity. This is not illegal.

Comment

I think that RockSteady has a good proposal. Many people swear by getting the Google Voice phone number and doing just as RockSteady listed.

Comment

I have to agree that RockSteady has a great idea. No annoying calls on your home phone.
                    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
                    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Originally posted by RockSteady View Post
                      I knew I would receive a boatload of collection calls. So, I went on every CC and creditor site and changed my phone number to my Google voicemail number. All my calls went to Google VM and I received not one call to my cell. I think that really saved what was left of my sanity. This is not illegal.
                      Interesting thought, thank you

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X