Conflicting advices from lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflicting advices from lawyers

spoke to few attorneys, just stopped using CCs this month, with some higher than normal charges for past 3 months.

Credit cards:
    Attorney1: stop using CC's, but make minimum payments for 2-3 months.
    Attorney2: Stop using CCs but don't make any payments anymore bc you can't afford it.

Sending money to parents using Western Union:
    Attorney1: Withdraw the money cash from checking account then go to WU store and send it.
    Attorney2: Wire the money directly from your checking account to show proof you are sending money.

Both sounded they know what they are doing, both charged same fees, and said they have 20+ years experience in NYC.

Which one makes more sense?

They both make sense. You should stop using credit cards when you can't afford the payments. But, charging a card up and then not making a single payment afterwards "could" lead to issues.

It's okay to send parents money. How you choose to have proof of that is up to you. If you go to the store, they'll give you a receipt which you could keep safe. If you do it online, then you'll get an online receipt.

Always go with the attorney that makes you more comfortable. Ask probing questions if you think the response deserves more detail.

Welcome to BKForum.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Why would you be sending money to your parents and how much money are you sending?

Des.

Comment

• justbroke
        justbroke commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah... I assumed this was an elderly parent and they were paying some of the expenses. I paid for my elderly mother's vehicle.

• flashoflight
        flashoflight commented
        Editing a comment
        I had no problems adding elderly parent expenses to my budget as well. Of course I had previous history of doing so. I did pay for their expenses directly such as healthcare copays rather than send them funds directly to buy food/rent.

Sending around $800 each month for both parents (rent, food, etc..)

Comment

Originally posted by boklos View Post
        Nobody told me to pay for their expenses directly, but that's what I did to make it more legit than sending cash through Western Union.

Comment

Originally posted by boklos View Post
          In some jurisdictions this may be acceptable. In others, it is not unless the parents are legal dependents.

OP posted on another forum that the funds are going oversees. "Good luck, Mr. Trustee in trying to recover the funds".

These gifts must be disclosed on question 13 of the Statement of Financial Affairs. The question covers gifts to a person over the 2 years prior to filing. It will then be up to the Trustee to decide what to do about it.

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X