Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atty who doesn't communicate

Has anyone had the experience of non communicative attorney? Or very very very minimally communicative?

Has anyone changed attorneys? I'm at about my wit's end.

The atty is good and very nice, but...he sends missives rarely.... I don't know if my sanity can take this.

Thing is...so many of these people know each other, I'm almost concerned about getting a second opinion as the person I go to may know my current atty.

But...unless he's just "got this" I think I need to go somewhere else.

The attorney will ask if you have seen or paid another attorney about bankruptcy, I think it's a standard question and it goes into the bankruptcy paperwork. We had seen an attorney, paid a fee for the consultation that would have gone toward bankruptcy. But we did not like his advice and felt uncomfortable with him so we did not go back. When we told the new attorney we had seen him, they wanted to know the name and dollar amount we paid, but did not ask any questions. We ended up filing more than 2 yrs after we paid the first attorney so it was NOT needed on the bankruptcy paperwork (the question was have you...in the last two years).

The attorney we used was very helpful and answered questions, but did not contact us often. Now after we have filed/been confirmed they will not contact us unless they need something (no news is good news) and when I call with questions I speak with a paralegal who will answer questions and is very quick/to the point and it feels abrupt and like they are not as friendly, but I think it's just 'business." They did not even contact us when the objection the trustee had was dropped, we got a letter from the court telling us.

It would be nice if during bankruptcy there was a more human side to it to acknowledge the anxiety and emotional part and to educate debtors on the process (not the classes we have to take that in my opinion were not really helpful, it's good budget advice, but nothing new to me) of the actual legal proceedings and what to expect. If we knew more about the process there would be less anxiety, at least that would have helped me and my husband.

Try to decided if your attorney is NOT communicating or if they are all business. Our questions were always answered and one the attorney's had a better "bedside manner" he told me. Not to worry about how we got into the situation remember we are doing something to make it better and fix the problem.
    Last edited by carmella13; 09-14-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Thank you Carmella! And yes, his attitude is I'll contact you when I need to but - There is an issue with confirming a modified plan, and I saw that the my car's lender motion for relief order was just entered - he didn't even know. I have said over and over again I cannot be without a car. Where I live, I don't have access to public transportation, so I either know there is something going on or I have to get something - like right now. I told the paralegal that I need to him to pay attention, because I cannot lose my job. If I lose my job - well I have life insurance - and yes, kind of was in a dark place. But it got attention. I don't expect to have my hand held, but when there is something happening, I do expect guidance. So now I got emails between atty and car lender and the question was posed to them if they're intending on repoing right now, or will they wait for the plan (actually plan wasn't approved because lender claimed too much...trustee didn't like that).

So I will see what happens today - I may look for someone else, because I literally mentally can't take much more of this.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X