Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Experian Credit Boost

Hi folks.
    Have you used Experian Credit Boost? Has it improved your credit score? Do the other credit bureaus offer a similar credit improvement tool?
    We have two payments remaining in our BK; looks like we provide a few months worth of utility bills (electric, cable, internet, etc.) to the app, to demonstrate we are current on those bills for the past 3-6 months. We're thinking, we should consider using the app once we get the discharge, to optimize the boost. What do you think?
    Thanks

Credit Boost is a scam!

Here are a few points:
    • Experian requires you to give them all manner of access to your financial world which they in turn can mine and sell; all this in exchange for a few points on your Experian FICO 8.
    • I know of no lenders which will accept "boosted" FICO 8 numbers; if unboosted numbers are not provided, then the credit report is ignored.
    • Some lenders, when they seen boosted scores, will ask you to remove your credit boost, and then reapply, often with another Hard Pull against your credit.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Well stated shipo.

Zombie13, you're probably better off just building credit tradelines the old fashion way. shipo has a very good guide and I highly recommend the share-secured loan (SSL). It works wonders.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

@shipo: Thanks! Woah holy cow good to know.
        I thought, once boosted, that was it: FICO 8 Boosted == FICO 8... apparently not.

justbroke : yep, sounds like a good plan. Yes, we have read shipo's imperative read.

So, SSL (Share-Secured Loan) - we will need to look that up; we have not heard of it.

Thanks!

Comment

shipo 's plan includes the SSL and, I think, a couple of bank from which to obtain it. I know personally that PenFed or Alliant are two credit unions that make it very easy, including the ability to pay it down to 8% and then not make a single payment for the rest of the life of the loan. I recommend getting at least a 36-month loan; otherwise you'd lose the open installment tradeline quicker.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Got it. And I should add: we have heard of an SSL but we have not read up on it. Minor clarification there.

Comment

The last time I checked, PenFed, Navy Federal, Alliant, and DCU all bubbled to the top of the SSL list; I went with PenFed and couldn't be happier with the result.
              Latent car nut.

Comment

PenFed gave me two high-limit credit cards, and I've been a customer for more than 4 years! Did the SSL there too! The nice thing about PenFed is that they now have a national credit union charter, so anyone can join. Navy Federal is still restricted membership (I'm at NavyFed too). I think Alliant has a backdoor way of joining, which they allow you to do as part of the application process.

Like shipo, I think I like PenFed. I'm thinking about getting a mortgage through them.

Comment

Agreed; my father (Navy), myself (USMC), and my son (Navy) all served, so NFCU was certainly an option for me, however, when I started comparing things, PenFed won out with better auto loan and mortgage rates versus to Navy, so I joined PenFed. As justbroke also stated, they are pretty BK friendly when it comes to credit card approvals; my first high(ish) limit unsecured card, all of $6,000, was granted by PenFed almost exactly a year after my Chapter 13 discharge.
                  Latent car nut.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X