X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fees

Hello all,

i have a question about attorney fees.

I paid my attorney 1500 in fees for services but on my chapter 13 claim summary it shows there’s another 2500 allotted for attorney fees.

is this the norm? Are there usually more attorney fees added by the court besides the upfront fees at the attorney’s office?

I just paid it off this week so I’m in the final stretch.

thanks

ours was 4100. the lawyer should have told you what the total charge is. the lawyer fee, along with any secured debt is paid first through the plan. In our case, our two vehicles and the lawyer were paid first and after almost a year those debts were paid and now all money goes to the unsecured debt.

Comment

I paid in the 4K range to file my 13. My attorney wanted it all up front.
      Filed Ch 13 November 2013, discharged March 2019

Comment

You signed and were given a copy of a fee agreement. What does it say? Most, but not all, state that there is a fee (retainer) paid prior to filing with the balance (either fixed or on an hourly basis) paid through the Plan.

Des.

Comment

That sounds about right. I do not remember the exact amount we paid, but I know we paid some upfront and some is including in the bankruptcy payment. I am pretty sure you were presented this info. It's such a stressful time I know I missed a few bits and pieces of info along the way and didn't read all the papers that came from the court. Or I should say I did read the papers,but didn't really retain/read carefully since it was so overwhelming. I just came across one letter the other day and thought to myself, "I didn't realize I had all this info," but I know I read it at the time!

Comment

If you are not in a 100% plan you should be happy to have great representation throughout your plan period.I think debtors make a mistake when choosing a Lawyer who brags about a 100% confirmation rate, which many do.The odds are most don't care what happens to you after the confirmation. My attorney stated that his goal was to get me a discharge either next week or five years from now.Some attorneys are available for you to the end, even monitoring your tax returns and seeing if they can lower your plan payment or even convert you to a chapter 7. Of course this comes at a hourly cost billed to the court and agreed to by the debtor. Every year my Attorney came up with a reason for me to keep my tax return because something came up in my life that raised my expenses.. I was more than happy to sign off on a bill to the court from a attorney who truly cared for my endpoint. I would rather pay a great attorney anyday instead of a unsecured debt collector who purchased my debt for pennies on a dollar.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X