No announcement yet.

Yearly tax returns in 100% Chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I told you lately how awesome you are justbroke ???

I'm actually not really worried, not sure why but I think that I have been through so much emotionally and psychologically with family, illness, lawsuits and other stuff that I am just tired of being tired and stressed.

Comment

Bankruptcy, all by itself, is very stressful. A Chapter 13 is especially stressful. At the time I filed in 2008, I wish I knew half of what I now know.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by womanonfire View Post

How can your attorney charge you more for these things and you not have to pay extra? Maybe I am being dense, wouldn't be the first time and it certainly won't be the last!
        I'm not speaking for shipo's case.

Let's see, I incurred $16k in legal fees so far in my ch13 so I think I know a thing or two about legal fees. In a <100% plan like mine, the regular work to maintain the overall plan can be paid out of the unsecured creditor's dividend rather than my wallet. Your lawyer will require some of it to be paid upfront to reduce the risk of getting stiffed in an early failed 13, so that comes out of your wallet. A lot of the extra work was going to be paid by Visa and Amex, so I didn't care about the legal fees. I paid $6k out of my wallet in an adversary proceeding and got it back and a bunch more in the settlement with the defendant. This AP would not benefit the plan so I had to pay. We had an arrangement where I didn't have to pay all of the $6k upfront because a chapter 13 is kinda tight budget-wise ya know. It helps if your lawyer is confident you are good for the money so he can sue the bastards and I can get paid.

Comment

• womanonfire
          womanonfire commented
          Editing a comment
          "sue the bastards" love it! We're going to try to reduce our one and only secured claim with objections to their claim and recoupment. Attorney thinks he can do this without an adversarial proceeding. I guess we shall see!

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Bankruptcy, all by itself, is very stressful. A Chapter 13 is especially stressful. At the time I filed in 2008, I wish I knew half of what I now know.
        You said it, justbroke! Thank you for admitting what most won't! LOL
        The monumental stress of these 60 months has left me 30+ lbs heavier, with joint issues and ongoing (re)injuries that can only be resolved with weight loss and a permanent move to a semi-humid sea-level climate along with a deep-seated hatred of this mountain state and the awful fixer -upper that made it all possible in the first place!
        When some people questionably claim, "It's no big deal - it's only five years of your life! It'll be like it never happened (to paraphrase a tv commercial for a flood/fire repair service) and then you'll forget about it", I wonder if they will be among the first to redo Chapter 7/13 at least a second or third time. Remember, those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
        As for yearly tax returns womanonfire, we had to supply them, but we never received enough of a refund to need to turn it over to the trustee and we were not in a 100% plan.
        Good luck always as you navigate the tricky, slippery road ahead!
        Last edited by Barbisi; 01-23-2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• womanonfire
          womanonfire commented
          Editing a comment
          I was reading some old threads and read yours. Weight loss solves health issues for everyone and what better time to practice time restricted eating (TRE) than when you're on a food budget? I'm in excellent health for my age at 54, take no meds but I do know that at my age things can start going wrong which is why I work hard to maintain my health with diet and exercise. As for stressing over stuff, this is funny and the truth! The less you have, the less you have to worry about. https://youtu.be/MvgN5gCuLac

Originally posted by Barbisi View Post
        The monumental stress of these 60 months has left me 30+ lbs heavier, with joint issues and ongoing (re)injuries that can only be resolved with weight loss and a permanent move to a semi-humid sea-level climate along with a deep-seated hatred of this mountain state and the awful fixer -upper that made it all possible in the first place!
        When some people questionably claim, "It's no big deal - it's only five years of your life! It'll be like it never happened (to paraphrase a tv commercial for a flood/fire repair service) and then you'll forget about it", I wonder if they will be among the first to redo Chapter 7/13 at least a second or third time. Remember, those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
        It's really different from one person to the next. You had it very hard with a difficult trustee and I'm very happy to see you freed from debtor's prison. Meanwhile, I have it easy and it would take an asteroid strike on the Earth for me to fail my 13.

I have a friend in the same district, same BK lawyer, chapter 13, but different budget numbers. His plan is 100%. Mine is 1%. He spent almost no effort doing his budget and didn't save receipts. I spent a ton of effort on my budget almost a year before I filed. I have two dogs and they got the best food, regular vet visits, dog toys, and their nails trimmed for months before filing and I saved the receipts for the inevitable trustee request for receipts. My friend has a dog listed in the asset schedule but no pet expenses. The dog is still there today, but the dog food has to come from the budget item for groceries which is already severely limited by the IRS. What about his vet expenses? He's struggling a little bit so far and had to skip eating a couple of times already. I'll admit even I had to stop eating once or twice during the first three months of my case. He has to work a new second job post-petition to survive, but he is 100% so he can keep the extra money. We don't get raises seized by the trustee so it gets easier as each year passes and the chances of skipping meals goes to zero.

Maybe a 100% 13 who didn't learn to budget well may be a redo like my friend. He hates it too and he probably gained just enough budgeting skills to avoid a repeat. If you have to feed the dog, spent it all on the trustee, didn't get hours at the 2nd job, and have no credit cards, you don't eat. You'll learn to budget real quick when hungry.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X