Getting Married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Married

We have been putting off getting married due to the Ch13 because I did not want her involved with the BK due to her trust fund and other assets that would have to be identified to the trustee if we got married earlier. We would like to get married this 4th of July weekend. My final payment is 01 Aug 22. Would there be a problem getting married one month before my final payment? If it will cause a problem we will delay until September.

While I would run this past my attorney, I don't think it would hurt anything. They can't bring her assets into your Chapter 13, but they could, however, consider her income. Even if her income was considered, they'd also have to adjust your schedules to reflect that it's now a household of two. I'd feel more comfortable speaking with your local attorney, but I don't think you would have any issue.

Depending on your case, you might be able to make that last payment early. This is another thing that you'll need to speak to your attorney.

I would not do anything -- especially making an early payment -- without consulting my Chapter 13 attorney.

Congratulations.

(Personally I think it would be foolish, or at least spiteful, for a Chapter 13 Trustee to try to change your payment on July 5th, when your last payment is August 1st. I mean... the hearings alone would take at least 30 days minimum at which point you would have completed all payments due under the plan.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      While I would run this past my attorney, I don't think it would hurt anything. They can't bring her assets into your Chapter 13, but they could, however, consider her income. Even if her income was considered, they'd also have to adjust your schedules to reflect that it's now a household of two. I'd feel more comfortable speaking with your local attorney, but I don't think you would have any issue.

Depending on your case, you might be able to make that last payment early. This is another thing that you'll need to speak to your attorney.

I would not do anything -- especially making an early payment -- without consulting my Chapter 13 attorney.

Congratulations.

(Personally I think it would be foolish, or at least spiteful, for a Chapter 13 Trustee to try to change your payment on July 5th, when your last payment is August 1st. I mean... the hearings alone would take at least 30 days minimum at which point you would have completed all payments due under the plan.)
      Thanks justbroke. I was trying to see what the trustee could do with only one payment left. I will not pay off early since the payment is payroll deducted. I have a very hands off trustee and he probably wouldn’t care. The final audit will already be on going so if I didn’t mention anything how would the trustee know? I will send an email to my attorney to get her take on it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X