How do I successfully file bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I successfully file bankruptcy?

I just got a certificate of completing online class and creditors are chasing me

Welcome Ashton, most likely your best bet would be to contact a few bankruptcy attorneys in your area and set up some interviews; pick the one you feel most comfortable with.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Welcome to BKForum.

If you intend to file with an attorney, you need to start arranging interviews with 3-5 local attorneys. Pick the one that you like or that understands your case.

If you intent to file without an attorney, rethink this. If you still want to file without an attorney then you will need a guidebook such as Nolo's How to File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

If you intend to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, I would strongly strongly discourage you from doing such. While some have filed Chapter 13s pro se, the statistics for a successful Chapter 13 is quite severely diminished when going this route. I am a successful Chapter 13 debtor, but I have some unique reasons for my success. There are a couple of other pro se Chapter 13 debtors here on BKForum as well.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you. I have received some people saying to file without an attorney and others say to get a lawyer

Comment

Welcome!

As someone who by necessity is investigating doing it without an attorney...definitely get one... but educate yourself and get a GOOD ONE so you can weed out the bad ones. Ive posted some of my (mis) adventures in the Pro Se forum. May you one day enjoy your promised Fresh Start.
          Last edited by bornfree2; 03-12-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Ashton if you can afford an attorney get one! That's my advice just shop around and look for someone who has done many bankruptcies/experience in your area. For me I like the piece of mind knowing it's all done correctly and if I ever have questions, especially with the 5 yr Chapter 13 they are just a phone call away.

If you cannot afford the attorney then you can consider doing it yourself. When I read about the people who have done it themselves they need to have the time and the drive to get it done and to do it correctly, takes time and research and ambition. If you are up to challenge you can do it yourself.

For me personally I have enough on my plate than to worry about all the little details.

Coming here for advice and knowledge is good whether you have an attorney or not. I wish I found this forum before we filed because it would help me know what to expect and I could have planned a little better before we took the plunge and I probably would not have procrastinated as long as I did.
            I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Originally posted by Ashton View Post
              I just got a certificate of completing online class and creditors are chasing me
              It depends on the amount of your debt vs. your income.

I wouldn't worry about creditors chasing you. They are stupid. Just block their numbers and put "return to sender" on their letters.

We need more details to help. Stay positive. Things will get better.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X