top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No regrets, but slow road to a good FICO....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No regrets, but slow road to a good FICO....

I am glad I filed - no regrets - but 8 months post discharge, FICO only up 100 points. Higher income folks with do better and recover faster. This will be a longer road than I expected, but I still am glad I did it.

Only thing I learnt during this journey is the great FICO i enjoyed for years (700+) due to never missing payments on any card meant absolutely nothing when my collapse came. I was had a great reputation, high scores, etc then default, and bam im a lepor.

So once this journey ends I hope to never want or need credit and i give zero flapjacks for the FICO score. Only thing that matters in the end is skills, experience, and family.

Comment

I hear you, it does feel like that, doesn't it? I disagree about FICO, though - unless you already own a home and/or have family to fall back on, it is extremely important. You can't even rent an apartment without a fairly decent one. Although those with higher incomes will have more leverage.

Comment

You should search for shipo's guide to rebuilding credit. You are likely missing an installment loan (worth 40+ points), and perhaps some other diversity in your credit profile.

The following is kind of a distillation of various bits of post-discharge advice (from my "do as I suggest, not as I did" department) I've helped other folks out with: Following your discharge: Wait 6 weeks and then get copies of all three of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com Go through those reports
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekop785 View Post
          I hear you, it does feel like that, doesn't it? I disagree about FICO, though - unless you already own a home and/or have family to fall back on, it is extremely important. You can't even rent an apartment without a fairly decent one. Although those with higher incomes will have more leverage.
          True I haven't felt the scarlet letter. Only way is up after rock bottom though.

There are some pretty good books by the NCLC on this topic

Fair Credit Reporting - see chapter 16.6 in TOC

Truth in Lending

Credit discrimination

Some additional hits on google

Last edited by bornfree2; 03-27-2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            You should search for shipo's guide to rebuilding credit. You are likely missing an installment loan (worth 40+ points), and perhaps some other diversity in your credit profile.

https://www.bkforum.com/forum/after-...uilding-credit
            I have those things, albeit very small credit limits due to my income not being very high. I have a secured, two unsecured, and a small installment loan.

One thing I did notice on my report is that two of my accounts still show late in the history (from before the BK, not after). However, some don't. All say zero balance, discharged in BK.

It seems like there should be more consistency in the way accounts are shown.

Comment

You should dispute those old IIB accounts.

Additionally, make sure you are using AZEO method (all zero except one account) and make sure it doesn't report more than 8% balance.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Ok, sounds like a plan - I will dispute them. I was not sure since the "lates" are pre-BK; I thought they did not have to remove them (as long as the accounts show zero/discharged).

Comment

All pre-BK items should be marked "included in bankruptcy" (IIB) with a $0 balance. It should show no payment history.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X