Income after filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income after filing?

I filed a chapter 7 BK in June. My income for the six months prior to filing was low enough for me to file a 7, using the means test. Obviously I'm in dire straits financially. What if I take on a second or third job now, to help build up my savings for the future? Should I wait until discharge or until my case is closed? I'm reading conflicting information. Based on my understanding, your petition for a Chapter 7 is based on your financial situation as of the date of filing, not after and income is calculated based on your past six months of income and what you list as your current monthly income when filing. What if I want to take on more hours or a 2nd/3rd job after filing? Will that jeopardize my 7 and trustee will want to throw me into a 13? Thanks.

Welcome to BKForum.

For a Chapter 7, it's generally not an issue unless it's significant income and the Chapter 7 Trustee even cares. Generally most will say not to make any major life changes until after the 341 Meeting.

I'm assuming that your 341 Meeting was in July and you're now about 30-45 days from your discharge. My personal thought is that you should always take care of yourself, your health, and your family.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Welcome to BKForum.

For a Chapter 7, it's generally not an issue unless it's significant income and the Chapter 7 Trustee even cares. Generally most will say not to make any major life changes until after the 341 Meeting.

I'm assuming that your 341 Meeting was in July and you're now about 30-45 days from your discharge. My personal thought is that you should always take care of yourself, your health, and your family.
      Thanks. My 341 was earlier this month and was continued. (nothing to do with income questions though). Too bad there's no clear cut answer in the law, apparently. So you're supposed to stay dirt poor until they release you, essentially, just to be safe. (I know that's not what you were saying, but it sounds like that's the case if I want to take chance out of the equation)
      Last edited by Integrity881; 08-20-2022, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I would wait until after the 341 with no more continuations if we're talking about enough monthly income from a 2nd job or 3rd job going forward to pay for a 13 due to being above median. If the trustee asks about any employment changes or new job offers, you are under oath to tell the truth. So don't have a 2nd or 3rd job at the time of the 341. The trustee can have you moved to a 13 based upon 3 jobs going forward thanks to the Lanning decision.

In a chapter 13 where you don't repay 100% of your debts, you are required to pay all your disposable income after trustee allowed expenses and amounts which may be quite low. So there is little to no incentive to work overtime, 2nd jobs, and 3rd jobs. However, I would always take promotions at the main career job in a 13 because it's a lifelong benefit. Uber and Doordash gigs, not so much.
        Last edited by flashoflight; 08-20-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X