Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single spouse filing

Hello all,
    Hoping to get some guidance on my situation. We're in NJ and my wife and I have a franchise that's not doing as well as we'd hope by now. We're thinking of filing Chap 7 for my wife. We have $14750 gross monthly income of which $13750 is from me. She hasn't made more than a few hundred a week for quite some time (from consulting services and not from our business).
    I understand my income will be used for the means test.

I'm the only borrower on our mortgage which is $4500/mo. My wife's name does appear on the county records but it was my income and credit used to get the mortgage. Her income, credit and debts were not included in the mortgage process. We put very little down and should not have much equity unless it has appreciated more than I expected.

My personal debts (2 consumer loans, 4 CC's, deferred student loans) come to approx. $3500/mo. Between these debts, the mortgage & living expenses, we're upside down as is.

I can't file with her due to my employment. We're hoping her business will pick up to address my debts this year.

She has both cars in her name , and they are upside down about $15k between the two based on fair market value research. Her consumer debt will save us about 2k a month plus whatever redemption deal we can work out with the cars.

My questions are :

Can she file alone without an impact to me ( no joint debt, just some AU's we're in the process of removing)?

Can I get a loan to acquire the cars at FMV ?

Is our home at risk ?

Anything I am not thinking of that is crucial here?

Thanks so much in advance for those who comment / advise.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X