top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyones spouse went back to work during active chap 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyones spouse went back to work during active chap 13?

Our youngest is turning the age of going to pre k and my wife wants her to go. But to make that happen we would have to pay $325 a month, i told my wife she may have to get a part time job but not sure what the trustee will say.
    Last edited by Clay3007; 07-04-2021, 03:16 PM.

If you have a 100% plan, do whatever you want. Let the trustee know about the new employment if it is required.

If it is less than 100% plan, it's ask your lawyer time because it's trustee specific. But in general, childcare expenses are not allowed if there is a stay-at-home parent. The new employment may cause a plan modification and you will end up raising your plan payment. But you can use childcare to offset the new employment income. Maybe it's OK to not say anything to the trustee, do the PT job, and the trustee doesn't do anything after tax returns are filed because the income increase isn't sufficient to force a plan modification. But clear all of this with your lawyer.

Comment

No were not in a 100% plan, I told my wife i wont rather sit where we are and not make any ruffles but i think she is going stir crazy after being a stay at home mom for 3.5 years. She planned on calling the attorney this week and inquiring but my gut says to just go as we have been.

Comment

My gut tells me if there is a very small difference between the take home pay of the new part-time gig and what day care costs, the Trustee won't even blink. In fact, unless the part-time job yields at least a 10% increase in family income, the Trustee could still care less (even if you don't put your kids in day care).
        Latent car nut.

Comment

shipo more then likely it will be a small amount but i just really dont want to make any waves. Thats the only problem is the 10% idk what she will make where she was offered a job but even part time puts us over the 10% with working 5 4hr shifts. Im not sure the company will go lower on the hours but then going lower wont really cover daycare so.

Comment

I really think this is a non-issue, however, you really should talk with your attorney.
            Latent car nut.

Comment

Definitely get the info from your attorney. If the amount she makes causes an increase in your payment that wouldn't be good. You won't know the answer until you talk to the attorney. If the attorney says it will increase your payment then maybe your wife can volunteer so she can get out of the house and do something that interests her. Would Pre-K fall under child care or is it an educational program? That's something else to find out. My daughter went to Pre-K at a daycare, but if it's a school that offers Pre-K I don't know if that would count as a day care expense.

If your wife is feeling stir crazy and can't work I would try to find something she can do to get out of the house.
              I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Just an update: we spoke with our attorney this week and they said to go for it. After 2 months they will file the paperwork and see what the trustee says, but they also said to send our children to daycare to offset the cost. Its only a part time job working 4 hours a day and we will only net an extra $100 a week after daycare pay but its a job my wife has wanted for some time. Plus she figures after the 2 year finish line we have left she is free to do whatever.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. In this curernt climate, I would hope the Chapter 13 Trustee just responds with a "congratulations" and that's that.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay3007 View Post
                    Just an update: we spoke with our attorney this week and they said to go for it. After 2 months they will file the paperwork and see what the trustee says, but they also said to send our children to daycare to offset the cost. Its only a part time job working 4 hours a day and we will only net an extra $100 a week after daycare pay but its a job my wife has wanted for some time. Plus she figures after the 2 year finish line we have left she is free to do whatever.
                    That sounds great!
                    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Originally posted by Carmella View Post
                      Definitely get the info from your attorney. If the amount she makes causes an increase in your payment that wouldn't be good. You won't know the answer until you talk to the attorney. If the attorney says it will increase your payment then maybe your wife can volunteer so she can get out of the house and do something that interests her. Would Pre-K fall under child care or is it an educational program? That's something else to find out. My daughter went to Pre-K at a daycare, but if it's a school that offers Pre-K I don't know if that would count as a day care expense.

If your wife is feeling stir crazy and can't work I would try to find something she can do to get out of the house.
                      The attorney said the trustee will take in to account the cost of daycare and that most times its a wash so they usually don't blink about it. Now the new problem we have is finding a daycare with opening since everyone is full due to the worker shortage. Hoping i don't have to switch back to mid nite turn to make this work.

Comment

I doubt her return to work desire will pencil out due to the worker shortage unless the PT job is very lucrative on a per hour basis. I think expensive daycare is one of the main reasons why many workers are pushing back hard at returning to the office after the pandemic. I also think it's a very bad idea to reduce your time with the child by working more so that mom can work and reduce her time with the child as well.
                        Last edited by flashoflight; 07-18-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flashoflight View Post
                          I doubt her return to work desire will pencil out due to the worker shortage unless the PT job is very lucrative on a per hour basis. I think expensive daycare is one of the main reasons why many workers are pushing back hard at returning to the office after the pandemic. I also think it's a very bad idea to reduce your time with the child by working more so that mom can work and reduce her time with the child as well.
                          Thats why my wife has stayed home up until this point but our youngest would be going to pre k next year anyways and our pediatrician recommended getting her in to preschool a few days to help with her speech and such. She says that due to the pandemic we have a whole year of child that are behind on speech and social skills due to everything being shut down.

But like i said this is a job my wife has wanted for awhile so do you bite the bullet and take the leap or pass and miss it all together?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X