Advice Needed on Saving My Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed on Saving My Car

I am several months away from filing and any of my multiple creditors could sue me at any time.
    The problem is my car. KBB says that my low mileage car is worth between $15,000 to $17,000, However, I only owe $990, which would subject me to losing the car.
    I could trade my car in for a new one but that would lead to more long term payments and I am very happy with the the car that I now have.
    I explored a car title loan but they are expensive and are for a short term only.
    Any suggestions on how I might proceed?

I don't have any advice or wisdom for you. There's a fine line between bankruptcy pre-planning and hindering, delaying, or defrauding creditors. Unfortunately Florida's paltry $1,000 exemption for a vehicle isn't going to help you. Even if you turned in the car for a newer one, you'd still have the equity. The Trustee would still attempt to sell/liquidate the equity through a forced sale.

As I responded in a previous post, there's not much room other than negotiate with the Chapter 7 Trustee or file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is the section of the bankruptcy code which allows debtors to keep property. Whether or not Chapter 13 is right for you can only be determined by running a bunch of numbers.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X