My 341 is done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 341 is done

Yesterday I had a phone in meeting. I was the first one called.
    The trustee got a little bit testy over some 401k withdrawals I took but calmed down when I told her I had no other income for a few months, and SS income afterward.
    She seemed deeply disappointed to find no assets to claim.

This was a converted CH 13, with a substantial IRS debt. I don't know the exact total, as the IRS will not tell me.
    Does anyone have a guess as to when they will come calling?
    Does anyone have experience with a home brewed OIC for the tax debt? I think I'm at 8-10k into them, and around 275% of poverty level income. No great assets, not even a retirement account once I get even on my mortgage and a junk pickup truck I'm keeping.

There is also a surrendered vehicle that is sitting unregistered in the driveway. I wish they would come for that sooner than later because I am paying 80$/mo to insure it.
    I was thinking of offering a ridiculously low amount for the lender to release their lien and send me the title.
    Worst they can say is no.
    I will likely need to get used to hearing no in my future anyway.

Originally posted by Scottowl View Post
    Yesterday I had a phone in meeting. I was the first one called.
    The trustee got a little bit testy over some 401k withdrawals I took but calmed down when I told her I had no other income for a few months, and SS income afterward. She seemed deeply disappointed to find no assets to claim.
    Well, the Chapter 7 Trustee only gets about $60-70 per case if they don't find assets. If the Trustee "thought" they found something, spent some time on it (wasted money), and then find that the thing is exempt... yeah, they may not be excited any longer about the case.

This was a converted CH 13, with a substantial IRS debt. I don't know the exact total, as the IRS will not tell me. Does anyone have a guess as to when they will come calling?
    The IRS is barred by the automatic stay (which came about when you filed Chapter 13). The stay won't end until 61+ days from your 341 Meeting (today). I estimate that your discharge should come after April 1st. The IRS may still not talk to you until closing, but I'll assume that the IRS will receive notice that you are no longer covered by the stay once they receive notice of the discharge. The notice usually takes 48-72 hours for them to receive. How quickly they respond is anyone's guess... and I don't like to guess.

Does anyone have experience with a home brewed OIC for the tax debt? I think I'm at 8-10k into them, and around 275% of poverty level income. No great assets, not even a retirement account once I get even on my mortgage and a junk pickup truck I'm keeping.
    No. I don't.

There is also a surrendered vehicle that is sitting unregistered in the driveway. I wish they would come for that sooner than later because I am paying 80$/mo to insure it.
    I was thinking of offering a ridiculously low amount for the lender to release their lien and send me the title.
    They probably won't come until after the discharge... if they come at all. Since it's a Chapter 7 you could have offered an 11 USC 722 Redemption to pay the actual cash value. In order to do that, you need a Motion to Redeem and usually a hearing (unless it's on consent).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Well Scottowl , the good thing is, you got past this 341 meeting hurdle.

Comment

Sounds like the meeting went well for you.

I don't understand why the IRS won't talk? Is it because you are in the process of converting to the Chapter 7. I was able to call and find out the amount I owed which was after the BK--not including in the plan, but I was unable to pay it by the deadline. They allow me to make voluntary payments. I was able call and get the info from someone over the phone.

If anyone wants the phone number that goes directly for BK questions ask me/tag me and I will look it up. I am still making payments and plan to call again to get the updated balance.
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

I think you have to call the Insolvency Department at the IRS to get information while covered by the automatic stay.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The IRS website does have a PDF table to calculate the dollar amount to submit.
            From what I can tell they total up all assets to arrive at a figure. There are income limits as well.
            From what little I have played around with it first glance looks promising in my circumstance.

I just filed my returns and owe some more, so I want to wait until it has been accepted.

Comment

Carmella and justbroke - could a list of IRS phone numbers be made a 'Sticky' thread/post?
              Scottowl - hope it works out in your favor!

Comment

Zombie13 I'm reluctant to post phone numbers. Someone should always go to the IRS website and find the numbers there. Even though I post links below, one should always search for the IRS insolvency operations phone number personally.

IRS Instructions for Chapter 13s (the phone number is here)

IRS Instructions to Trustee has the Insolvency Operations (the phone number is here too)
                Find information for trustees administering bankruptcy estates, including notification of filing, addresses, Chapter 13 claim payments and IRS penalties.

Comment

justbroke - that was so important, you said it twice!!! LOL. Yknow... three time's a charm! Wanna give it a go? Just kidding.

Comment

The site was having some issues. I didn't even know that it double posted.

Comment

I understand. I was just kidding.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X