Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best way to handle collections? (post BK)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best way to handle collections? (post BK)

Between my daughter and I we racked up nearly 10k in medicals bills a month after discharge.. /sigh , even after BK I am not by any means loaded up with extra money. In fact my wife has very little income coming in so in some ways we are worse off than ever. Regardless a few of the bill just fell into collections, right as I am about to have enough disposable money (not much) to setup payment plans. I had one call my wife's phone yesterday, it was a local number so she answered. Even though the debt is in my name only they wanted HER to agree to a deal (and asked where she worked...) In fact they offered one at a 150 a month and told her if we did not agree by the next day it was no longer on the table. I also have one other that just sent me a collection letter a few days ago.

So my question is how would you guys deal with this. I can not afford to pay all of these people large amounts each month. Also my credit obviously is tanked, and even though rebuilding should be a a priority due to the stress right now I don't care. I refuse to take credit out and don't plan on buying a car or house for years.

Since I have been through the collection fun before I am not intimidated by them. Obviously I don't want to end up with garnished wages but I also don't want to drain my accounts in a panic. The one thing I also learned is that "sometimes" collection agency's will end up offering to close the account for a smaller amount of money. I am not sure how common that is, or the average time frame but its happened.

Anyhow would you guys give a low ball payment amount and just tell them to take it or leave it? Will that usually work? Could I possibly say even at this point that I can't afford the entire bill but I would be willing pay X to close it? Lastly should I demand a letter with the payment agreement on it prior to paying anything?

I appreciate any advice, this situation really sucks.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X