Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statute of Limitations Has Kicked In. Now What?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statute of Limitations Has Kicked In. Now What?

It’s been over 6 years since I made a payment on any of my credit cards and I have no other debt. I’ve pretty much lived the life of a drifter for the last 6 years and I’ve enjoyed it a lot. It suits my personality. I’ve kept a very low profile and my place of residence has been mostly secret. I have no judgments and have not had any contact with any of my creditors or the junk debt buyers. After 6 years, the statute of limitations on my credit card debt has kicked in, and now I want to prepare for the future. I have been able to build up over $20,000 in cash and have a car worth around $8,000.

I’m looking for advice as to what to do next. I am interested in possibly signing a lease for an apartment and possibly getting a credit card or two to rebuild my credit. For the last 6 years, I never gave my social security number when getting an apartment and kept my residential address mostly secret.

Also, I tried to get my credit report over the internet about two years ago (Jan 2017), and it wouldn’t allow me without first calling a number, so I passed on doing that. These credit reporting agencies are ‘in’ with the banks, I think, and I didn’t want to tip them off in any way. Now that the statute of limitations has kicked in, I should get my credit reports, right?

Thanks in advance

Don't be surprised when you get those reports and the letters start coming. The other issue could be whether the debt collection period was tolled because you went off grid, but that's another long story.

I don't have the answer. You will be back on the grid and the creditors may be long gone (although Portfolio Recover Associates must be some sort of zombie company... they never forget anything). There may even be threats of lawsuits, although your defense is... the debt is that it's time-barred.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X